Does a 144hz Monitor makes sense at all for 60fps gaming?

HarryGRGamer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014
Hello all!

So I'm currently thinking about spending money on a new monitor. so I came across with this one AOC G2460PF. 1 ms reaction time.

I'm mostly playing games on 60fps with my 970 but sometimes even more on games like CSGO (200fps) and I'm also editing videos

Does it make sense buying the monitor. and play on 60fps? will it give me disadvantages.? or should I upgrade my graphics card first?

Thanks for your help in advance. I'm really curious

Solution
That one is freesync, which is AMD's adaptive refresh rate tech. With a NVidia card, you'd want a monitor with g-sync, which is their adaptive refresh rate tech. Basically, if you are getting 90fps, the monitor can adjust it's refresh rate to 90hz, or whatever FPS you are getting, on the fly, all the time, to avoid motion tear, blurring, frame skipping, etc.

So if you are going to invest in a new high refresh rate monitor, I would, get one that supports your graphics card. Most games won't be able to hit 144hz all the time, but as it dips up and down and all around, having the monitor adjust itself to the FPS you get is better.
That one is freesync, which is AMD's adaptive refresh rate tech. With a NVidia card, you'd want a monitor with g-sync, which is their adaptive refresh rate tech. Basically, if you are getting 90fps, the monitor can adjust it's refresh rate to 90hz, or whatever FPS you are getting, on the fly, all the time, to avoid motion tear, blurring, frame skipping, etc.

So if you are going to invest in a new high refresh rate monitor, I would, get one that supports your graphics card. Most games won't be able to hit 144hz all the time, but as it dips up and down and all around, having the monitor adjust itself to the FPS you get is better.

Solution

HarryGRGamer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014
Oh you are right. I forgot about AMD's technology even though I heard. connecting a Nvidia card with AMD's Freesync won't be a problem. but yeah I think you are right. thanks for the quick reply!