[SOLVED] Does a 3900X run faster with a better cooler?

TidalWaveOne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Will a 3900X run faster (have higher boost clocks and maintain them) with better cooling than the stock cooler? I don't want to overclock but I want the chip to run at standard boost clocks as much as possible. I don't want it to run slower because it gets too hot from inadequate cooling when using the stock cooler.

I'm wanting to use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NC06ZYT/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1Z5H6ZGWCMTNX&psc=1

Worth it (to maintain higher boost clocks longer) or a waste of money when not overclocking?

Solution
I bought an Asus-Strix-Gaming-X470-AMD-2600X so it should have a good power delivery system.

The video I posted seemed to imply that the X570 chipset was important for 3000 series CPUs because it enables some type of communication to tell the CPU what is actually available for boosting (like how much power or something).
Misunderstanding, x570 chipset gives some devices like PCIe 4.0 and that also helps with super fast USB etc too but only with 3rd gen Ryzen. The rest may be better because of updated memory topology as well as perfected trace paths . Generally more modern MB.
May 4, 2019
I have a 2950X threadripper and have recently figured out how it works with regard to overclocking/boost clocking. I don't yet have a 3900X system, although one is on the way as soon as the processor comes in stock.

The 2950X has a TDP of 180 watts. With PBO turned off, it runs its clock up to the point of encountering the 180 watt limit, or a temperature limit. Basically, that results in the 16 cores running around 3720 MHz sustained on the Mersenne Prime search that I run when not doing anything else with the system. If I turn on PBO, then it will run above the TDP 180 watt limit until it reaches the temperature limit. Running the same load, it runs up to around 3900 - 4100 clock speed, depending on the ambient temperature. At that point it throttles to hold the temperature of the hottest core below 68 C (95 reported with the 27 degree offset). I would expect that a lower water block temperature would produce higher sustained PBO clocks, up to the rated 4100. While running fewer threads, higher clocks are obtained. This is all automatic once PBO is turned on, technically voiding the warranty.

I would assume that the Ryzen 3s will behave similarly So with PBO on, a better cooler may give you higher clocks.

Reactions: TidalWaveOne

TidalWaveOne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Last edited:
Thanks. It looks like paying more for better cooling can pay off.

I found this:
https://community.amd.com/community...precision-boost-overdrive-in-three-easy-steps
and

But video says X570 motherboards... I bought an X470.
It still depends on BIOS and VRM, chipset is not important in this context. You need an MB with VRM to be able to supply 140W+ to get everything out of PBO and OC. Also have to ensure cooling for at least as much TDP. All of those and to be able to keep temps under 70c no matter what.
BIOS is instrumental in allowing PBO2 to work at full potential. Only last BIOS for my MB (also 3gen compatible) got me about 100MHz auto boost (PBO2). (4.35 vs. 4.25GHz).

TidalWaveOne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
It still depends on BIOS and VRM, chipset is not important in this context. You need an MB with VRM to be able to supply 140W+ to get everything out of PBO and OC. Also have to ensure cooling for at least as much TDP. All of those and to be able to keep temps under 70c no matter what.
BIOS is instrumental in allowing PBO2 to work at full potential. Only last BIOS for my MB (also 3gen compatible) got me about 100MHz auto boost (PBO2). (4.35 vs. 4.25GHz).

I bought an Asus-Strix-Gaming-X470-AMD-2600X so it should have a good power delivery system.

The video I posted seemed to imply that the X570 chipset was important for 3000 series CPUs because it enables some type of communication to tell the CPU what is actually available for boosting (like how much power or something).

Misunderstanding, x570 chipset gives some devices like PCIe 4.0 and that also helps with super fast USB etc too but only with 3rd gen Ryzen. The rest may be better because of updated memory topology as well as perfected trace paths . Generally more modern MB.

Solution