[SOLVED] does a better cat cable on my extender gives better internet

May 10, 2020
hello guys,
i have really bad internet. when i look up my download speed it should be 30 download and 20 upload. but when i download i only have 2mb/s.
i use an internet extender becuz i'm to far away from my router. i have a cat 5e in my router to extender and a cat5e in my extender to pc.
is my internet going to get better if i put a cat7 in my router to extender and a cat7 inmy extender to pc or is it goign to stay bad.
kind regards thibault45761

Solution
No the 500 is a fake number that represents how the data is encoded. The key things is the device only has 10/100 ethernet ports. So they pretty much admit that the 500 number is a lie when they only allow you to run 100mbps ports. If it actually could run faster they would put gbit ports on it.

Running more than a simple pair of powerline network devices reduces the total bandwidth. All the units share the same pool of bandwidth and there is a lot of overhead.

If you get 45m download on speed test it means your powerline units are works fairly well. Speedtest is actually a file download it just does not save the file.

Your steam download is like 1MBYTE/sec which is 18mbit. Why it is not 45mbit like speedtest I...
Cat5e can run 1gbit at 100 meters. Buying a different cable will not make it run any faster because the ports in the equipment limit it to 1gbit. You would need 10gbit ports in the equipment for cat7 cable to make any difference.

From what read you have a ethernet cable all the way between your pc and the router and you are using the extender to connect the cables together ?

That should give you at least 100mbps and maybe even 1gbit depending on how fast the ports in the extender are.

I would try a RJ45 coupler and take the extender out temporally just to test. This would mean you have a long cable directly to your router.

If you are using that flat cable rather than the standard round ethernet cable that can be the problem. The wires in the flat cable are too thin and have issues. You want a cat5e cable that is pure copper with wire size 22-24

May 10, 2020
hey thx for your fast answer. i have a devolo dlan 500 duo or something. my first ethernet cable is connected from router to extender than in my room there is another extender that is connectet trough my pc

Those are not what people call extenders....then again people call everything extenders.

Those are powerline network units.

That is somewhat older technology. The ports are only 100mbps so it is not your cable can run much faster than the port.

You will never even get close to 100mbps but most people easily get 20-30mbps on the units.

First be very sure about your speeds. Downloads are in BYTES/sec so a 2mbyte is 18mbit. You want to use the numbers on speedtest or a similar site.

If it is really only 2mbit it is likely some issue with the house electrical wires. Maybe try another outlet. Be very sure you have these units plugged directly into a wall socket and not into power strips or extension cords.

The newer technology is called AV2 and many times has numbers like 1000 or 2000. These units tend to be somewhat faster and get 200-300mbps. Still even these units can have issues in some houses. Things like the motor in a refrigerator or air conditioner can cause issues especially if you have the powerline units plugged into outlets in the same room.

May 10, 2020
i just searched it up and i have the devolo dlan 500 duo. so that means it can handle abt 500mb/s right?
but in my house we have one powerline network unit connected to the router. but that one powerline network unit is connected to 3 or 4 other powerline network units. is that the reason why my internet is so slow. cuz i went to speedtest it says 14ms 45mbs download speed and 20mbs upmoad speed. but when i actually start downloading from steam or chrome itself it is barely 1mbs. do you know the reason why

No the 500 is a fake number that represents how the data is encoded. The key things is the device only has 10/100 ethernet ports. So they pretty much admit that the 500 number is a lie when they only allow you to run 100mbps ports. If it actually could run faster they would put gbit ports on it.

Running more than a simple pair of powerline network devices reduces the total bandwidth. All the units share the same pool of bandwidth and there is a lot of overhead.

If you get 45m download on speed test it means your powerline units are works fairly well. Speedtest is actually a file download it just does not save the file.

Your steam download is like 1MBYTE/sec which is 18mbit. Why it is not 45mbit like speedtest I don't know steam does lots of strange stuff like some games download fast and other run slow.

The problem could be since file download runs longer than speedtest that someone else is using one of the other powerline units in your house for their pc and it is causing you to run slower at times.

Solution
If I read correctly - you cave one Ethernet cable from router to "extender", and another one from "extender" to your PC. In that case - what is the purpose of the extender? If total distance is below 100m, you can just use an RJ45-to-RJ45 coupler (or a $15 Ethernet switch), and join the two cables.

TRENDING THREADS