does a DDR2 Motherboard support a DDR3 Graphics Card

navin08

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
I have a Intel Desktop Board DG45ID...it supports DDR2 memory, does this board support a DDR3 graphics Card, planning to upgrade to ATI - Radeon Asus 5450 model 1GB Graphics card

Solution
the board supports and runs DDR2 ram only ........... max is 4gigs each slot. (16gigs)

there is NO great difference to how fast a card will operate in pci-e 1/2 or 3............ big myth./selling point.

the ram on the video card has nothing to do with system ram. different entity......... you can run a card with DDR3 or DDR5. doesn't matter.

the 5450 will run fine provided the drivers are installed for it.
Any PCI express GPU would fit into a mother board with a PCIe slot as yours does and it supports upto 2GB gpu memory so you're fine there too with 1GB.
The motherboard supports DDR2 but the GPU is DDR3, they wiil work but the GPU will only run at DDR2 speeds, however, there is little difference to this unless you're looking at the very small details in hardcore gaming

the board supports and runs DDR2 ram only ........... max is 4gigs each slot. (16gigs)

there is NO great difference to how fast a card will operate in pci-e 1/2 or 3............ big myth./selling point.

the ram on the video card has nothing to do with system ram. different entity......... you can run a card with DDR3 or DDR5. doesn't matter.

the 5450 will run fine provided the drivers are installed for it.

Solution

joker50060

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I would suggest getting a new PC
as i also have a Gigabyte 945GCMX-S2 775 socket Mobo which only supports DDR2 RAM
i have a XFX 5450 which i placed in the case 2 years ago
So ya you can place a 5450 in there but it won't play most of the available games smoothly