Does a Duron need a 300 WATT power supply?

G

I'm building a new computer, and was wondering if the Duron needed a 300 WATT power supply. I'm only asking because my local store has a special offer on a case with a 235 WATT power supply, which is considerably cheaper than the cheapest 300 WATT case. Also I have an old 1GB HDD, which works on PIO mode 4 with no DMA, will the HDD work with the new MoBo which states that it is compatible with PIO mode 4 with DMA-66 timings?

Thanx in advance

Dobo

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
just buy yourself a 300watt p/s. it'll only set you back 30-40 bucks for a generic. that's still cheaper than buying a piece of sh!t p3. duron+300 or 433watt p/s is much cheaper.
fu(k intel.

If you can't beat 'em kill 'em
athlon "SLOTA" thunderbird 700@1050mhz

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It doesn't absolutely require a 300w power supply, but I would recommend you get one instead of anything lower.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
(I don't know, sorry, try www.amd.com)
Buy that cheap case, and put there 250-300W p/s!
You probably will not regret this even if duron need only 200W.

All i can offer you is the truth. Nothing more.

G

lol i just bought a case with 350w power supply that was actually cheaper then other 235w and 250w power supply + casing offers and yes it does work with AMd processors i payed roughly 75$ including shipping (dont know whetter this is cheap .. .its a maxitower.. Anyway the store i bought it from uses the same cases to build their own pc`s .. Which they offer to clients..

This was a dutch shop .. in dutch guilders i payed Fl. 165,-...

Yuo can find the store on internet aswell for those who are interested.

WWW.powerline.nl

Hey man i dont know .. i just think i do !!

G

Hi,

Latest IDE UDMA/100 controllers are backwardly compatable, so you should be able to use an old HD with no problem. PIO mode 4 ain't that old anyway :O)

My old Maxtor 540mb works on a modern controller no problem (er, aside from being a bit slow :smile: )...it is over 5 years old!

HTH

<font color=blue>Moots</font color=blue>

bsprawka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I installed the Asus A7V and Duron 650@900 in my old case with 235W and it works fine. However, if you plan to keep upgrading with the same case and ps I suggest you get at least a 300w. They are not that much more expensive and you will need it sometime in the future.