[SOLVED] Does a ethernet Repeater work for something else than tcp/ip communication

Jan 24, 2019
Hey guys,

i'm looking for a very smart person that could tell me if an Ethernet repeater (these cheap ones) you can buy online would work to boost signals on an Ethernet cable with communication, other than tcp/ip. like do they just boost every signal and instantly relay it to the other side or is there more electronics in there to cope with signal skew etc...

old setup:
machine <==>ethernet cable 1m><==> control panel

desired setup: (5m still works)
machine <====>ethernet cable 20m and more<====> control panel

from what i know, 2 pairs are used to power the control panel, the rest are signal wires.

suggested setup:

machine <====>ethernet cable xxx meter<====> repeater <====>ethernet cable xxx meter<====> control panel

also possible is to power the control panels myself where they are located and only use/boost the signal wires

thanks for reading Mitch

Solution
Ethernet is good for 100 meters. And the repeater can extend the distance if the repeater has its own power supply.

Cable quality is important - cheap cables may marginally make the distance. Signal quality and subsequent performance may be degraded.

Are you able to provide more details regarding the endpoint control panel - make and model? Is the control panel specific to the machine being "controlled"?

What specific repeater, if any, do you have in mind?

E.g.:

https://www.perle.com/products/ethernet-extenders/er-s1110-ethernet-repeater.shtml

Use the link and diagrams to consider the options/setups available. Details matter.

Post accordingly.
Jan 24, 2019

thing is that the controller lights up but doesn't start booting so i would think the problem would be communication. although the bootfile is on a sd card on the controller so it should be able to boot but not communicate with the power board (unless it does a self check early on in the boot and can't get passed that)... could be indeed only a power issue, ill see if i can measure the voltage on both ends of the cable to see it that could be the issue.

Ralston18

Titan
Ethernet is good for 100 meters. And the repeater can extend the distance if the repeater has its own power supply.

Cable quality is important - cheap cables may marginally make the distance. Signal quality and subsequent performance may be degraded.

Are you able to provide more details regarding the endpoint control panel - make and model? Is the control panel specific to the machine being "controlled"?

What specific repeater, if any, do you have in mind?

E.g.:

https://www.perle.com/products/ethernet-extenders/er-s1110-ethernet-repeater.shtml

Use the link and diagrams to consider the options/setups available. Details matter.

Post accordingly.

Solution
Jan 24, 2019

purely informative, if they don't add voltage what do they do? over long lengths of cable the falling and rising edges of signals get rounded and the internal resistance of the cable drops the voltage as well right? So why won't a repeater boost the signals back a certain voltage?

kanewolf

Titan

That is why I recommended putting the power injector at the controller end. That will verify if power is the problem or signal is the problem. What is the power voltage and wattage for this powered device?

Am not sure about this controller thing, but my understanding is Ethernet (man, it's been a while) repeater do "regenerate" the signal.

Does it have to be tcp/ip? absolutely not. The OSI layer model says signal regeneration is a layer-1 deal and tcp/ip is layer-3, so no, you can run old AppleTalk, deceased Netware and it won't matter.