[SOLVED] Does a gamer mouse need USB 3.0?

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
I got an MSI Clutch GM40 mouse and after a few days or so the PC would boot weird and I'd end up with an error message saying the last USB device is not recognized by windows.

When I say boot weird: from a cold start it would hang on the initial motherboard screen for like 3 or 4 times longer than usual, lights on keyboard and mouse would turn on then off, get to the windows loading screen but not show the spinning dots, keyboard and mouse lights again go on and off, then finally allow me to pick the user ect. and get greeted with that error message. Everything seemed fine after that

I reverted to my other wireless mouse and it would boot normal. I plugged the MSI mouse back in but moved from a USB 2.0 to a 3.1 port and it seems to boot normal now again.

I originally thought maybe the PSU was being overloaded, but I should have lots of headroom. Is it a thing that a "gamer" mouse would need more power or bandwidth?

Specs are B450M Pro4, R5 2600, RX 570, CX550, Ripjaws 3200 2x8, 5 fans.

Solution
Mice need very little power. And USBs are backwards compatible so running a 3.0 device on a 2.0 port will just slow it down (which wont be noticeable unless your a professional gamer). Just leave the mouse in a different port and try other devices in the faulty one. If they work, great. Its probably just a motherboard-mouse issue with that port and might be fixed in a future BIOS or Windows update? Hope this helps!
Mice need very little power. And USBs are backwards compatible so running a 3.0 device on a 2.0 port will just slow it down (which wont be noticeable unless your a professional gamer). Just leave the mouse in a different port and try other devices in the faulty one. If they work, great. Its probably just a motherboard-mouse issue with that port and might be fixed in a future BIOS or Windows update? Hope this helps!

Solution

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Makes sense, thanks