Does a heavy mouse make you bad in FPS's

Daniel__18

Reputable
Feb 21, 2016
I don't prefer light mice cuz i have large hands so i was looking for recommendations and most of them are good mouse but on the lighter side and they all said a heavy mouse like logitech G502,R.A.T 7,9 will decrease your aim and make it hard to flick shot
Is this true or a myth

Solution

Absolutely right.

OP, there are two main considerations when it comes to FPS aiming:

1. How comfortable the mouse feels.
2. Training yourself.

That second point is mostly about muscle memory. For example, can you keep the crosshair fixed on a small, specific location whilst moving around like you normally would? This kind of thing takes a lot of practice, but means that you can aim whilst keeping mobile.

A lot of people will tell you that a mouse with an adjustable DPi is important, but that's not true. If you train your muscle memory at 400 DPI and switch to 1600 DPI mid-game, your muscle memory goes out the window...
Most higher end mice come with weights inside that are removable. I play only FPS games and I never take weights out. I use the Corsair M60. I tried what its like when a weight is removed..I hated it. I checked out the G502 and it seems really light already.

Daniel__18

Reputable
Feb 21, 2016
so the mouse being heavy or not wont make a difference if i am comfortable with it cuz i use very light mouse and kinda irritates my wrist and i tend to grip it too much due to its light nature

konius

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Conserning fps games you just need an accurate wired mouse or a wireless with 1000Mhz report rate. The weigth, size, grip, type of sensor and dpi is a matter of your personal preference. You can also adjust the weight of many modern gaming mice, so i dont thing u ll have a problem with the weight.

Bufty2

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Mouse movement is mainly small side by side or back and forward movements. We are not lifting the mouse, so as long as it's comfortable to rest our hand on and moves freely I can't see how weight factors in to the equation, provided it's not so light it floats away and not so heavy it won't move.

Yours does seem to be on the light side if you feel you can only control it by gripping it. All that is required is for the hand to rest naturally on the mouse - movement is created by light side pressure- not gripping.

Is your arm-rest level with your desk surface?

Ill drop my 2 cents:
Yes it is bad for FPS. In general, you have two types of aiming: Pinpoint+high sensitivity (using your wrist and fingers mostly for moving the mouse), and low sensitivity (where you will use the arm mostly).

Now, depending on what fps you are playing, you might favor one type or the other, but one thing will still be true:
If the mice is heavy (I dont mean it has to be as light as possible, but not too heavy) and you use the fingers+wrist to move the mouse, the inertia of the mice is going to make you overshoot your target. This means, you will have to make counter force to compensate for the movement.

Now that is not good. The second situation is that you will be moving with your arm a heavier mouse, meaning your arm will have less precision (the more force we use, the less precise it is). This is important because if you try to keep the precision at the same level, more muscles are going to be constantly stressed in your arm.

I have been puzzled by what would be *the perfect mouse* for years, and I came to the conclusion that as long as it stays in certain parameters, they dont matter that much (since its mostly about getting use to it thru practice).

Bufty2

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
On most monitor gaming scenarios I doubt it's necessary to move fingers and wrist more than two inches maximum and that should cause no strain at all.

I have an X34 Predator and just over an inch of sideways movement easily covers from side to side on the 34" screen.

Using the unsupported forearm seems to me a very inefficient and unnecessarily stressful way to control the mouse. When the hand is placed on the mouse the relaxed fingers should just fall comfortably into their position. If they don't, it seems to me the mouse is either too big or too small - regardless of weight.

Absolutely right.

OP, there are two main considerations when it comes to FPS aiming:

1. How comfortable the mouse feels.
2. Training yourself.

That second point is mostly about muscle memory. For example, can you keep the crosshair fixed on a small, specific location whilst moving around like you normally would? This kind of thing takes a lot of practice, but means that you can aim whilst keeping mobile.

A lot of people will tell you that a mouse with an adjustable DPi is important, but that's not true. If you train your muscle memory at 400 DPI and switch to 1600 DPI mid-game, your muscle memory goes out the window and your aim will be all over the place. Find a DPI that works for you and stick with it.

Your mouse should also have one or two easy-to-reach thumb buttons for things like melee attacks or special powers. Chances are, you can hit these buttons quicker than keyboard keys.

Finally, get a mousepad. A smooth, consistent surface helps with tracking.

Solution