[SOLVED] Does a motherboard really affect performance?

Sep 4, 2019
I have a question. I have a i7 6700, and will it theoretically run better on a more expensive and "gaming" board than a cheaper and simpler h110md board? I mean, apart from the BIOS features, does chipset really affect the CPUs performance?

MadsModsat

Upstanding
Oct 10, 2019
I've had both an MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon and and my current ASUS Z390 RoG Maximus XI Hero with all the other components in my signature. I have had both boards within just a few months of each other.

Nothing else is different between the two setups.

When benchmarking, I score a little bit worse with the current ASUS board. I knew this beforehand, from reading reviews, so it was expected. Those two boards are very similar, I know, and almost cost the same as well.

But it shows that there are differences in performance even between similar motherboards.

However, the performance difference is so small I will never be able to actually perceive it. But is is measurable.

Different motherboards do perform differently, although generally not a lot. Buying better motherboards would often be for better overclocking, support for fast RAM, or added features.

But I don't think there will be any relevant performance increase from switching to a different motherboard alone. However if you decide to buy a new board which overclocks better for instance, then it would probably make sense to switch for something better. In your case I wouldn't say that it's worth it, unless your CPU is a K-model and you intend to begin overclocking, but I guess it's not a K-model, from your description.

Last edited:

MadsModsat

Upstanding
Oct 10, 2019
I've had both an MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon and and my current ASUS Z390 RoG Maximus XI Hero with all the other components in my signature. I have had both boards within just a few months of each other.

Nothing else is different between the two setups.

When benchmarking, I score a little bit worse with the current ASUS board. I knew this beforehand, from reading reviews, so it was expected. Those two boards are very similar, I know, and almost cost the same as well.

But it shows that there are differences in performance even between similar motherboards.

However, the performance difference is so small I will never be able to actually perceive it. But is is measurable.

Different motherboards do perform differently, although generally not a lot. Buying better motherboards would often be for better overclocking, support for fast RAM, or added features.

But I don't think there will be any relevant performance increase from switching to a different motherboard alone. However if you decide to buy a new board which overclocks better for instance, then it would probably make sense to switch for something better. In your case I wouldn't say that it's worth it, unless your CPU is a K-model and you intend to begin overclocking, but I guess it's not a K-model, from your description.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS