[SOLVED] Does a PCIE Motherboard need the PCIE tab that hold the videocard in?

iSoLateD1

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I have an Asus TUF Gaming X570 Wifi motherboard, and I had trouble pressing down the PCI-E latch that holds the video card in, and I yanked it out by mistake by yanking the video card from the slot. I installed the new video card fine, the question I have is, will that latch be required to ever install another video card? Like for a bigger card? The card I have now works fine so I assume it isn't needed, I just want to be sure I won't ever have to buy a replacement motherboard. Thanks.

Solution
Short answer: no, it's not important for GPU functioning.

The real purpose is to hold the card in the slot as the case flexes when being moved about. So if you move the system frequently you might want to check that the card is fully seated in the slot every now and then.

The second purpose is it can help pop the card out of the slot without tugging at it hard and possibly damaging things when it comes out suddenly. That's something you'll have to watch for as you remove your GPU.
Short answer: no, it's not important for GPU functioning.

The real purpose is to hold the card in the slot as the case flexes when being moved about. So if you move the system frequently you might want to check that the card is fully seated in the slot every now and then.

The second purpose is it can help pop the card out of the slot without tugging at it hard and possibly damaging things when it comes out suddenly. That's something you'll have to watch for as you remove your GPU.

Last edited:
Solution