Question Does a poor overclock cause frames to dip/stutter?

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Heres my specs:
EVGA 1080ti FTW3
i7 9700k
32GB DDR4 Ram (3200mhz)
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC motherboard

I ask this simply because i happen to be stuttering/dipping in frames in games like Escape From Tarkov and Rainbow Six Siege. At least in EFT i can write off the stuttering from its lack of optimization and how its generally a hard game to run. But in Rainbow Six Siege i get 200 to high 200 fps consistently but would have frame skips/stuttering that does start to get annoying over time. I usually only overclock my CPU and RAM. My CPU is clocked to 4.8ghz while my ram at 2800mhz. I never crash or have any significant issues other than the stuttering. Just for context i do have problems with crashing if i do overclock any higher than what i set. Im not too experienced with overclocking so any advice would be helpful.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well a DDR4 ram shouldn't be less than 3000MHZ if you ask me, plus it would also depend on your monitor's refresh rate.
Crashing is not always caused by an overclock, it could be power supply or even overheating.

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Well a DDR4 ram shouldn't be less than 3000MHZ if you ask me, plus it would also depend on your monitor's refresh rate.
Crashing is not always caused by an overclock, it could be power supply or even overheating.
Im having trouble going over the 2900mhz mark it just crashes and causes problems. Also I run a 240hz monitor but its on g-sync so it should throttle the refresh rate to what fps i have. I check my temps and they're all at high 60's to the mid to high 70's under load so i dont think thats the issue. My PSU is 1000W and i dont necessarily think its the issue. The reason i think the crashing is due to an overclock is because when i tone down the settings it doesnt crash. If i go over my set limits it tends to crash consistently.