Does a PWM fan need a fan controller?

Kronos5959

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I'm looking at getting the new corsair ml pro fans for my case, they are pwm. Will I also need a fan controller or will they be good with my Mobo, ASUS Z170A?

To be clear:
1. The fan controller is present on the motherboard

2. The motherboard BIOS has basic fan profiles you can set

3. The Asus fan software can be installed for better control of the fans (it kicks in one you boot into Windows, so as the PC starts up it first kicks into the BIOS' fan profile)

4. *Not all PWM fans are variable. If they are for example rated at 800RPM then that's the only speed they will spin at. Some will have a range such as 800RPM to 1800RPM.

Other:
I'm replacing my case fans that are DYING with some Noctua fans that cost $20. I decided on non-variable (possibly 3-pin) that spin at 800RPM. Why?

Because I discovered that my variable fans never go above about 800RPM anyway (I've linked them to motherboard temperature sensors), but when I first turn on my PC they suddenly ramp up to MAX SPEED so it's a bit noisy. After several seconds they settle down.

I could also just get 3-pin (voltage) fans and connect directly to the POWER SUPPLY if I want because the result is the same.

TRENDING THREADS