Question Does a second monitor decrease peroformance?

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
Hello. I'm thinking of adding a second monitor to my build, is it going to decrease gaming performance? (or performance in general) I'm not gonna use the second monitor to play games (not gonna play ultra wide 32:9), I'm just gonna play games on my first monitor as I always did and keep the second so I can do other things when gaming that I wouldn't have been able to do before because I had to close the game (maybe monitoring the fps and temps, keeping chrome open, or just letting it on the desktop do nothing) So is that gonna decrease my performance?

Fagianorex

Reputable
May 13, 2015
Hello. I'm thinking of adding a second monitor to my build, is it going to decrease gaming performance? (or performance in general) I'm not gonna use the second monitor to play games (not gonna play ultra wide 32:9), I'm just gonna play games on my first monitor as I always did and keep the second so I can do other things when gaming that I wouldn't have been able to do before because I had to close the game (maybe monitoring the fps and temps, keeping chrome open, or just letting it on the desktop do nothing) So is that gonna decrease my performance?
As Fix_that_Glitch answered you, it doesn't really decrease any performance.
Anyway, depending by the game you're playing at and depending by which resource it mostly drains from (CPU or GPU) you can switch your second monitor on CPU integrated graphics (if your CPU has) or GPU.
Doing this way you will never see FPS drops since you will never overload any PC part.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
As Fix_that_Glitch answered you, it doesn't really decrease any performance.
Anyway, depending by the game you're playing at and depending by which resource it mostly drains from (CPU or GPU) you can switch your second monitor on CPU integrated graphics (if your CPU has) or GPU.
Doing this way you will never see FPS drops since you will never overload any PC part.
So basically if I only plug dicrete graphics into the main monitor and integrated to 2nd I won't see any differences, but am I still gonna be able to 'sync' the monitors?

Fagianorex

Reputable
May 13, 2015
So basically if I only plug dicrete graphics into the main monitor and integrated to 2nd I won't see any differences, but am I still gonna be able to 'sync' the monitors?
Yeah, you will always be extending monitors. But as i said, be sure your CPU is up for that workload. Rendering your second monitor is not as heavy as the main one but if you're planning on watching videos you're gonna load CPU a lot, so use it only if the game you're playing at doesn't require much CPU power.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
Yeah, you will always be extending monitors. But as i said, be sure your CPU is up for that workload. Rendering your second monitor is not as heavy as the main one but if you're planning on watching videos you're gonna load CPU a lot, so use it only if the game you're playing at doesn't require much CPU power.
Yeah that's what I was about to ask. And I also want to oc my cpu pretty heavily and the vrm heatsinks on my mb are probably not the best (cpu cooler is good tho). So do you recommend me to just use the discrete gpu for both?
P.s the second monitor is much worse than the main, the main is 1080p 144hz 1ms and the second is like 768p 60hz 30ms

Fagianorex

Reputable
May 13, 2015
Yeah that's what I was about to ask. And I also want to oc my cpu pretty heavily and the vrm heatsinks on my mb are probably not the best (cpu cooler is good tho). So do you recommend me to just use the discrete gpu for both?
P.s the second monitor is much worse than the main, the main is 1080p 144hz 1ms and the second is like 768p 60hz 30ms

Yeah well it seems your second monitor wont require much performance by your CPU, anyway i suggest you to use your GPU for both monitors if you're gonna overclock it.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
Yeah well it seems your second monitor wont require much performance by your CPU, anyway i suggest you to use your GPU for both monitors if you're gonna overclock it.
Thanks! But just in case the gpu works harder than the cpu even without the monitor, how do I know that? Is it the usage% I have to look for? For example if in a game or stress test the cpu usage is 80 and gpu usage 95 (without the second monitor) should I consider installing the monitor to the iGPU instead? (Or is it the clocks, voltages and temps I have to look for?)

Sorry if this is a stupid question (and I think it is xd)

TRENDING THREADS