Does a SSD load web pages faster?

Hilroyalso

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I am curious of the benefits of an SSD when surfing the internet, from experience do people find web pages load quicker when using a SSD?

Thanks

If you put your web browser and your temporary internet files on an SSD then yes, there is a bit of a speedup. I'm not sure if I could quantify it but I do notice browing being snappier with my SSD.

But there are a lot of delays that originate with the web server or the Internet itself, and the SSD doesn't do anything about them.

G

You're better off creating a RAM drive, and storing your temporary internet files in there. It's even faster than an SSD, and with the right software costs you next to nothing.

^Amen. I have my Fire Fox cache on a RAM drive: http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

And it works very well. Note however, if you save the RAM drive to HDD during shutdown, depending on the size of it, it will make your shutdown time significantly longer.

At any rate, I only gained about .236 seconds faster load time on average for most websites by doing this.

I use the RAM drive as a scratch disk when editing vids,etc. ( I have a 6GB RAM Drive with 12GB RAM total).

Just to give you an idea of how fast a RAM drive is:
4433346194_ea936d899b_o.png

TRENDING THREADS