Question Does a USB->SATA converter exist?

fastshot

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
Firstly I've thought to hack a SATA->USB converter like this, I mean I wanted to cut off the power supply light blue part by a saw so only the data sata part'd has remained. The problem I guess is the data flux is only one way: SATA->USB, while I need the opposite.
So my questions is: do data-only USB->SATA converters exist? If not is there a way to hack existing converters?

fastshot

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
That's a part of a bigger experiment so here I just ask for data only because power supplying will be afforded by other ways.
And those things move data in both directions.
Afaik converters with only one USB plug carry data only one way while SATA<->IDE ones are bidirectional because both interfaces are storage from the same spec, but I'm not sure of that because I'm newbie and I don't understand tech english very well so I ask here :)
What's the right answer?

USAFRet

Titan
That's a part of a bigger experiment so here I just ask for data only because power supplying will be afforded by other ways.

Afaik converters with only one USB plug carry data only one way while SATA<->IDE ones are bidirectional because both interfaces are storage from the same spec, but I'm not sure of that because I'm newbie and I don't understand tech english very well so I ask here :)
What's the right answer?

Incorrect.
That cable you linked talks in both directions.
In fact...it must do that. That is part of the USB spec.

fastshot

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
Thanks a lot for your correction.
Well my issue is my external enclosure because its e-SATA port never worked while its USB 3.0 port always did. I regularly use it with usb cable and connect it to my mobo's usb but I'd like to connect it with my mobo's sata port, just for experiment as I said.
The enclosure has its own power supply so my idea was to take my 3.5" HDD, put it within my enclosure and connect its power supply, hack the converter cable I talked about and described in my 1^ post to carry data-only on from USB (enclosure) to sata (mobo) and viceversa, and get the same result I get via usb cable. I'd like to use my HDD both as storage device and as ubuntu booting device, that is what I get with usb cable right now.
So can you confirm that will work before me to buy that converter?

fastshot

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
I need my HDD to stay within the enclosure because it's safer and it has its own fan, I don't want a "free" HDD as in that amazon picture. Due to that my goal is to use the enclosure to afford power to my HDD and a usb-sata cable converter for data only apart.
If you pointed to B00BIE996S package to tell the hack I talked about in my 1^ post won't work, do you think this
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00C4R14GQ
cable converter will work for sure for my goal, I mean as a data only cable? It's the same of yours but the power supply presence.

fastshot

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
It's a WD1003FZEX so no molex connection as you can see here. Anyway as I said I want my HDD within that enclosure. I see I can use the B00BIE996S converter you linked (same of B00C4R14GQ) but just answer my curiosity please: will my "hacked" converter work the same for my goal or not?

fastshot

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
My enclosure's USB port works so I don't need another enclosure with usb, it's the e-SATA port broken.
I see your doubt about a prediction but let me point this out: in my idea of hacked cable described above SATA data-only plug will be connected to mobo and usb to enclosure so do you think usb plug will get energy from enclosure anyhow? My opinion is no because enclosure has its own power supply so usb cable is only for data. What do you think about that?

USAFRet

Titan
My enclosure's USB port works so I don't need another enclosure with usb, it's the e-SATA port broken.
I see your doubt about a prediction but let me point this out: in my idea of hacked cable described above SATA data-only plug will be connected to mobo and usb to enclosure so do you think usb plug will get energy from enclosure anyhow? My opinion is no because enclosure has its own power supply so usb cable is only for data. What do you think about that?
That cable is designed to provide both power and data to a compatible drive.
The power lines will be attempting to provide power, even if you cut them off. That is coming out of the USB connection at 5v.

popatim

Titan
I'm confused.
You want to installed the whole external drive, internally but thru sata, and not usb, but you already know the external eSata port on the enclosure doesn't work so what was the plan to connect the drive to the motherboard sata port?
And if you're going to do that why not just install the drive as a normal internal drive and skip the enclosure all together?