[SOLVED] Does accumulated browser history/cache actually slow down a browser at all?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
I'm on Microsoft edge.

I know clearing history can help protect your information and refresh some pages that are having issues loading, but other than that do you really ever need to clear browser cache/history?

Does browser history itself take up space/resources somehow? Say for example over 100k visited distinct links. Do those links take up storage on your hard drive or are they "browser" storage?

What about cached files and images? Do they really take up hard drive space, and if you have enough space there's no problem with not clearing cache?

Solution
Given sufficient CPU, RAM, and drive space, this is not really a concern.

Actually, the cached images make the system run faster.
The images are displayed direct from the hard drive, rather than having to retrieve it from online every time.

100k links? Its basically just a text file.

Now...if you're trying to run Win 10 on a 15 year old Celeron with 2GB RAM...you're gonna have issues.

USAFRet

Titan

The images are displayed direct from the hard drive, rather than having to retrieve it from online every time.

Now...if you're trying to run Win 10 on a 15 year old Celeron with 2GB RAM...you're gonna have issues.

Reactions: ShangWang
Solution

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021

I see, I suppose this is only done if you absolutely want to save space/have website issues.

TRENDING THREADS