Does adaptec cd creator screw up the cd drive?

marty123

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2001
I have a really annoying problem, I have a Pioneer DVD-ROM and a RICOH CDRW, both where working fine under windows 2k. I put adaptec cd creator 5 on, but it got annoying so i uninstalled it. When I uninstalled it neither of my cd's work now. In device mamanger it says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"
I have tried,
1) Updating the drivers
2) copied the driver files off another computer and tried those
3) Pluged the drive into the other IDE channel
4) Reinstalled windows, (not clean install) only over the top of the old one

Now I am stuck, I can't load put anything else on becuase I need to put it in the cd drive to do that, I can't do a clean install cause there are files on the HDD which i need to keep, i need to be burn them onto a cd first.

Is there anything I can do apart from buy another HDD, back all the data up I need and reformat and do a clean install and hope that works??

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you tried removing the drives from the Device Manager, and letting Windows redetect the devices during the boot?

As for backing up the files, you could get a copy of Partition Magic 7, create another partition on the drive, and move your files there. Then you could reformat the Active partition and reinstall Win2K if necessary.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=blue>"Does history record any case in which the majority was right?" ... Robert A. Heinlein</font color=blue>

marty123

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2001
I have tried unistalling them and letting windows redectect the drives, still no good.
I have my computer on a netowrk and one of the other computers on it has got 15G free, so I am backing all my stuff up to that computer and re formatting

marty123

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2001
fixed now, reformatting did the trick. Still pissed off about adaptec, I guess I will be using Nero from now on!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah...
it doesnt earn the nickname Easy CD Cremator for nothing!

Nero 5 for me. wonderful. no need to upgrade to 5.5 even

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

TRENDING THREADS