Does adding a dedicated gpu actually increase performance ?

Talha_5

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Hello! I'm kinda curious so i just gonna ask:
Will adding a dedicated gpu to a pc without one increase it's cpu related work or will it actually decrease the load in graphical portion on the cpu ?

Solution
Except in some rare instances graphical portion on the CPU (IGPU) is disabled when you install a dedicated GPU.
Adding a dedicated gpu to a pc without one depends on which IGPU you replace with which dedicated GPU, in some cases it may actually be an downgrade.
How much load goes on which, CPU or GPU depends on program running on them. games usually depend on GPU more than CPU but can't allow large disparity between them either or you get a "Bottleneck".
Except in some rare instances graphical portion on the CPU (IGPU) is disabled when you install a dedicated GPU.
Adding a dedicated gpu to a pc without one depends on which IGPU you replace with which dedicated GPU, in some cases it may actually be an downgrade.
How much load goes on which, CPU or GPU depends on program running on them. games usually depend on GPU more than CPU but can't allow large disparity between them either or you get a "Bottleneck".

Solution

Talha_5

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

So you are saying that when the cpu calculates graphical portions it may have it's workload lessened or increased depending on the gpu i'm using with it.
If so then how about a scenario where the processor doesn't have a graphical unit build-in rather uses the graphical chip planted onto the motherboard would the same thing happen?

No desktop computer MB has a GPU "planted" on the motherboard for last 10 - 15 years but even if it had, it would be just another IGPU and would be using system RAM which is slower than on dedicated GPUs.
It's also up to SW to choose how much to load CPU or GPU. Some use mostly CPU and little of GPU, some like for instance mining Bitcoin, almost exclusively GPU. Games tend to use them more equally but even they rely more on GPU.

Talha_5

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

That makes sense thx for answering my questions .