[SOLVED] Does adding a USB 3.0 card add USB resources

GrouchoBarx

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Plugging in various USB devices. Sorry, I don't mean to be flippant.

I have a bunch of external HDDs, USB wireless keyboard/mouse, I recently added a USB 2.0 hub to my USB 2.0 port (this has individual switches for each of 4 ports. I want to use one of these switchable ports for my USB MIDI keyboard controller for my home studio. At this point, my USB 2.0 printer only sows up if I remove one or more of the HDDs. The Printer (Canon MP490 also has a card reader which seems to take up a drive letter and use additional USB resources.

I currently have 19 external HDDs (don't ask ;) ), the Keyboard/mouse, and the Printer (which is not currently registering. I do not have the USB 2.0 Hub connected. I do not have the USB MIDI keyboard connected. I also have dongles for the various music software I use (only one dongle at a time).

I have a 10 Port USB 3.0 Hub with a 7 port USB Hub daisy chained off of that. All ports are utilized.

I had almost exactly the same set up with a different USB 2.0 switchable Hub. That hub died and when I replaced it, these issues began.

I have a USB controller card in an older computer and have an open slot on the current motherboard.

I am trying to figure out if the USB controller card has its own USB resources to circumvent my issues.

Thanks

GrouchoBarx

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
The short answer to my question is :

Yes, adding a USB 3.0 Controller card to my system added the additional USB resources I needed. I now have all of the external HDDs connected, my Keyboard/Mouse Dongle, two software activation dongles, the 4 port USB 2.0 switchable hub, the 10 port 3.0 hub with the 7.0 USB 3.0 hub (all ports on the 10 and 7 port hubs are populated), and 6 additional USB 3.0 external HDDs connected to the USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard. I still have enough ports to add thumb drives and other peripherals.

I was lucky that I had a 7 port (5 rear ports + 2 internal ports) USB controller card in an old dead PC. It is an ORICO PVU3-502U-R2.0.

I hope this helps anyone else encountering similar issues.