Does adding more ram decrease boot times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshkanVafaee

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Will adding more ram decrease the amount of time it takes for a computer to boot up (if so, by how much)? I currently have 4gb of ram and am considering to upgrade to 8gb so that my games will run a little smoother, but I care a little more about boot times and load times for launching programs so I might go for an ssd even though it probably won't create a smoother gaming experience. If however, adding more ram will also decrease boot times, then upgrading my ram would be more beneficial.

Thank you in advance.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Going from an HDD to an SSD is probably one of the most worthwhile investments you can make - everything just feels more responsive when you install your OS and a few programs to an SSD boot drive. Another 4GB of memory probably wouldn't hurt things, but with memory prices going back up I'd say go for an SSD and see how you like it.

Just my opinion - take it for what it's worth. :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Adding more ram will increase performance where the operating system doesn't need to swap programs in and out due to lack of memory space.

Can get away with 4GB with general use, but still having that extra 4GB would go a long way with bigger games and programs.

8GB is about the standard these days and an SSD will greatly speed up program executions.

Oct 15, 2020
Ram And Ssd will effect to boot windows just few seconds. Motherboard is also a xfactor because post time definitely depend on motherboard that how many times to take post. So if you increase ram speed, it will effect to boot windows within a fraction of sec like0.6sec to 0.9sec. Adding more ram help to launch application but boot speed can't be increased

Status
Not open for further replies.