Does ALL Backup Software Write 2 Identical Files to 2 Different Drives?

vaguyabs

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
This is about backup software used to perform incremental backups on a Win 7 x64 desktop to store on a Seagate Backup Plus 3TB external drive. The Seagate comes with its own software, which I believe comes from Nero (Backitup?). Unfortunately, for every .nbi backup file it saves on the Seagate (F), it also saves a copy of that .nbi file to the system drive (C) in a user folder. Each .nbi is about 195,000 KB, so my SSD system drive fills up rapidly, necessitating my manually deleting the duplicate .nbi files from the system drive each week. Seagate is zero help with this, support-wise & each update of their software has continued this duplication scheme.

Does ALL backup software fill up one's system drive while simultaneously writing to the external storage drive? If not, which do you KNOW will not do this. Thanks!!

Solution
Try Macrium Reflect https://www.macrium.com/ it uses .xml files that are much smaller but all backup SW needs to keep a track of changes in backups.

vaguyabs

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

Thank you, CM,
I guess I still don't understand why the SW needs to keep two complete backup files, one on each of two drives, to accomplish that. I appreciate your recommendation.

TRENDING THREADS