[SOLVED] does all company cables work on all psu

Apr 24, 2020
i have an antec ea550g pro semi modular psu but the thing is that i dont have the modular cables for it, I want to know that can i use any antec modular cables or does it have to be the exact ones it came with

Solution
It depends on the platform used PER model. There ARE different models from the same company that can be used together, but there are also usually different platforms used on different models by the same company that CANNOT be used together.

It is usually best to use ONLY cables that you know are intended for a specific unit because if the pinout is different you WILL fry something.

Knowing the EXACT model of BOTH units would allow us to tell you whether they are compatible or not.
It depends on the platform used PER model. There ARE different models from the same company that can be used together, but there are also usually different platforms used on different models by the same company that CANNOT be used together.

It is usually best to use ONLY cables that you know are intended for a specific unit because if the pinout is different you WILL fry something.

Knowing the EXACT model of BOTH units would allow us to tell you whether they are compatible or not.

Solution
they do have to be made for your psu model.
Not necessarily. There are variables involved. For example, the cables from any of the 850w or lower BQ/B2/B3/B5/G2/G3/G5/G+/GA/GM/P2/PQ/T2 models are all interchangeable. The pinouts for the higher capacity models from those series are the same also, but EVGA has a different cable set recommendation for the 1300w and higher units due to the higher capacity, BUT, those are also compatible with the lower capacity units.

G1 and some other EVGA models, are not compatible with them however, so you have to be careful and check that a given cable set is compatible with a specific range or family of models, or in some cases, with only a narrow range or maybe even only a single unit if it's a limited, small manufacturer. There are rarely compatibility between brands however EXCEPT when the same platform is used, as with some Seasonic, Antec, XFX models that shared platforms, etc.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Not necessarily. There are variables involved. For example, the cables from any of the 850w or lower BQ/B2/B3/B5/G2/G3/G5/G+/GA/GM/P2/PQ/T2 models are all interchangeable. The pinouts for the higher capacity models from those series are the same also, but EVGA has a different cable set recommendation for the 1300w and higher units due to the higher capacity, BUT, those are also compatible with the lower capacity units.

G1 and some other EVGA models, are not compatible with them however, so you have to be careful and check that a given cable set is compatible with a specific range or family of models, or in some cases, with only a narrow range or maybe even only a single unit if it's a limited, small manufacturer. There are rarely compatibility between brands however EXCEPT when the same platform is used, as with some Seasonic, Antec, XFX models that shared platforms, etc.

that's what i was thinking but not what i wrote. they need to be compatible and often multiple models use the same pin out, even between brands since often one company makes them for different companies based on the same design.

that's what i should have wrote :) thanks for clarifying

You would need a cable set from an Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550, 650 or 750w unit OR from a Seasonic Focus Plus 550, 650 or 750w unit, as the Earthwatts units are using the Focus plus platform. Your best bet though, honestly, would be to simply order a set of custom cables specifically for your unit because finding a replacement set of cables is hard to do, and getting them from the OEM is expensive. Might as well just buy a new power supply as try to source a set of cables new from the manufacturer.

Getting them used from places like Ebay is a bad idea too usually because if somebody is selling just the cables it generally means something happened to the unit, and if something happened to the unit then the cables are no longer trustworthy.

If those are the cables you need and they were never used, which is kind of hard to verify, then it's probably fine, so long as all the cables you need and are lacking, are present.

I find it kind of hard to believe that those cables were never used though. If the PSU was used, the cables were used, UNLESS they ordered custom sleeved cables and didn't need them. Not likely though on a semi-modular unit.

For the price, it's probably worth taking the chance though.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't think they are used. normally what you get is someone looking at the pinout and making cable that match it. so they are likely new but def 3rd party.

the few times i have had to buy such cables went well. so long as they are not too costly a single cable or 2 is not a bad purchase vs a new psu if you need a whole set. we know those cost a ton.

The description on that ad says “Original modular cable from Antec PSU, new never been used.” and they LOOK exactly like the cables from the Focus unit I installed a few weeks back. I guess it could go either way but I'd be leaning towards original in this case.