[SOLVED] does all cpu with same socket support in my mobo?

Feb 15, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread
so i want to upgrade my core 2 duo e6550 to core 2 quad q6600 which has the same socket (lga 775) and im using a hp home pc so i didn't know does the cpu support or not

my question is, can i upgrade it since it has the same socket? i didn't know and couldn't find the motherboard model since it's a prebuilt home pc from hp. should i give it a try since it's fairly cheap? i need the upgrade my home pc for basic task,etc

thank you very much!!!

Solution
Is it a prebuilt? I have a Dell XPS 700 here that I tried swapping out the Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz for a 2.93 ghz QX 6800 for, and apparently, the VRM's can't handle that CPU. It randomly shuts off since I put that chip in. I would have to swap in a motherboard from a XPS 720 to get that chip to work, and it's not worth the time and expense that I would have to put into it. Those motherboards are way too expensive for socket 775. I could maybe try undervolting the CPU, but I can't be bothered anymore since I have faster PC's here that run all the games stored on that machine much better.
You did something wrong or have a defective cpu because the xps 700 came stock with a qx6800 from Dell. Again, this is another reason why you...
The 775 socket fit all CPUs, but the motherboard's revision and Bios version decide whether it works or not.

You can find the motherboard using CPU-Z software (free).

Both E6550 and Q6600 have 65nm lithography so you have a great chance that it's compatible.

Anyways check the motherboard, you might be able to use a better CPU than the Q6600.

It's really easy to find out compatibility on lga775 stuff and prebuilts because someone out there already did it. :D Just google the prebuilt model number and the cpu you're wanting to try or 'cpu upgrade'. For example, "HP DX2300 Q6600" gave me a lot of results on this upgrade.

Feb 15, 2021
The 775 socket fit all CPUs, but the motherboard's revision and Bios version decide whether it works or not.

You can find the motherboard using CPU-Z software (free).

Both E6550 and Q6600 have 65nm lithography so you have a great chance that it's compatible.

Anyways check the motherboard, you might be able to use a better CPU than the Q6600.

thanks for the explanation,maybe im gonna buy a new mobo just in case the cpu doesnt support in my old mobo :D

Feb 15, 2021
It's really easy to find out compatibility on lga775 stuff and prebuilts because someone out there already did it. :D Just google the prebuilt model number and the cpu you're wanting to try or 'cpu upgrade'. For example, "HP DX2300 Q6600" gave me a lot of results on this upgrade.

thanks mate! im gonna search it up on youtube

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Is it a prebuilt? I have a Dell XPS 700 here that I tried swapping out the Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz for a 2.93 ghz QX 6800 for, and apparently, the VRM's can't handle that CPU. It randomly shuts off since I put that chip in. I would have to swap in a motherboard from a XPS 720 to get that chip to work, and it's not worth the time and expense that I would have to put into it. Those motherboards are way too expensive for socket 775. I could maybe try undervolting the CPU, but I can't be bothered anymore since I have faster PC's here that run all the games stored on that machine much better.

You did something wrong or have a defective cpu because the xps 700 came stock with a qx6800 from Dell. Again, this is another reason why you just search for the model number and the cpu and you'll know the answer quick:
https://www.google.com/search?q=xps...hUKEwi4g7y64Y7xAhUIVc0KHbAlAMgQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

Solution

Joseph_138

Distinguished
You did something wrong or have a defective cpu because the xps 700 came stock with a qx6800 from Dell. Again, this is another reason why you just search for the model number and the cpu and you'll know the answer quick:
https://www.google.com/search?q=xps...hUKEwi4g7y64Y7xAhUIVc0KHbAlAMgQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

The XPS 700 did NOT come with that chip from Dell. It came with dual core CPU's, not quad. The 720 used quad cores. That's not an XPS 700 motherboard in that picture. The numbers on it are wrong. There are old threads in the Dell forums that say as much.

Feb 15, 2021
Good news, the board supports up to 8GB DDR2 RAM and all Quad Core CPU.

Let's forget the Q6600, you should try the top Quad Core like Q9550, Q9650.

i did an upgrade with a q6600 but i got stuck at bios,i cant click anything with my keyboard it's just freezing so i swapped my e6550 back and it runs fine,but when i change it back to q6600 it's suddenly freeze at bios again

my bios version was 5.13,it's actually the latest bios for my pc since 2007 and i cant find any version

any of you have the same problem? and how do i fix it? is there any way i could reset the bios from the bios menu? thanks!

Feb 15, 2021
it's a prebuild from hp but i couldn't find any of the information of this pc, i only found an old blog from early 2000 that say i can upgrade the ram to eight gigs which i already did.

Feb 15, 2021
so im using a IPIBL-LA motherboard and want to upgrading my cpu from core 2 duo e6550 to a core 2 quad q6600, i upgrade it and it stuck/freezing on bios title. im trying to find solution for it aand it seems i cant find any solved problem.

so im trying to upgrade my mobo to g41 which is the same socket as my mobo before,the different was it has ddr3 ram slot

my question is,is my q6600 gonna support in that mobo or it's just gonna freeze again like my old mobo?
if you guys have the same hardware as me just let me know!

thank you!!!