Does Amd APU crossfire work better than 2 dedicated GPUs Crossfired?

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
This is for curiosity more than anything. I have had alot of issues with crossfire on my rig, Dual HD7870s, Mostly due to poorly coded drivers & software (Call of duty ghosts anyone?) Does Crossfire with an AMD APU such as an A10-6800k make any difference? Wanna build a cheap steam machine next year based on AMD APU.

Just to be clear, i Know that you can't Crossfire a HD7870 with an A10-6800k, but does 2 dedicated HD6670s in crossfire with a basic CPU perform better or worse than an A10-6800k with 1x HD6670.

I plan on building a Steambox maybe next year with an FM2+ Kaveri APU

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

I had considered this but they dont make ITX AM3+ Boards. I want to build an AMD based system in the new Coolermaster Elite 130. Chances are i would just use the APU to begin with then buy a decent GPU at a later date. Maybe the R9 270 when the price drops. I dont need anything as powerful and my main rig, just something i can put under the tv and play on the sofa.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
if you just want a steam box honestly I'd build one with an I3 with the best graphics on it available. The graphics aren't as good as an apu, but they don't need hardly any cooling either. But that is up to you. Most I3s do thoroughly hammer the apus in processing power once you get the add on card.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Intel performs better in raw processing no doubt, but in gaming, AMD APUs come out on top. Also i'm hoping Mantle will deliver the performance increase it is promising. As i said, i'm going to wait until next year and get the New Kaveri APU which is said to equal a HD7770 GPU and this gives me time to see what mantle has to offer.