Does AMD Athlon XP Burn in a Second ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the point is: if you use a properly designed heatsink, put it on securely following instructions, that uses all 3 cleats, that <b>DOESN't</b> exceed the socket weight limitations (you would be suprised how many do) then the cahnces of the heatsink falling of are about the same as it being stampeeded by elephants.

though to be fair, i think AMD could have been far tougher enforcing proper heatsink design. there are alot of bad designs out there
*coff*orbs*coff*

Asteroid 2002 NV7: The <b>REAL</b> solution to the Israel/Palistine problem!

SkunkWorks1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
a Tbird WILL burn in Seconds if theres no heatsink itll go to like 150-200Degs probally.. but not with a heatsink.. geat a nice HSF like a thermaltake VOlcano7 that u can hear purrrrrring if you really want or use a probe so itll beep if the fan goes down.. but dont worry

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
True... if everything is done right, then everything works right. Of course in life, accidents happen. My fried 1.4 T-Bird is proof of that. A properly designed HSF (Global Win TAK68)with a properly designed clip (using all 3 cleats) and an experienced builder (me... Ha!) It got hung up on one side when I mounted it and after a couple of failed boots... It is no more! No sign of frying... just stone cold dead!

Probably the most common type of failure out there is a failed fan. Eventually that WILL happen! I expect that the processor will live for quite a while with a failed fan, even after the system freezes, but soon your Athlon will die a horrible burning death!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
but with failed fans the temp creep is relatively slow... and any board with thermal monitoring can prevent fries.
and most do have it.
ive got mine on my epox set to 65C. if for any reason the temp climbs above that then boom. system goes to standby.

Asteroid 2002 NV7: The <b>REAL</b> solution to the Israel/Palistine problem!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know... but still, it seems that AMD should have thermal protection built right into their chip like Intel does. I'm disappointed they don't and it shows that they really aren't in the same league as intel in some of these design areas. They don't because they just couldn't expend the resources to develop it, probably not because they didn't think it was a good idea!

When you think about it, the enormous heat generated by the AMD chips has long been an area of criticism for them... Wouldn't it have been nice if they had a nice built in protection scheme all along so they could tell people it really doesn't matter?

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Well, all I know is that when I put my brothers system back together (a 1GHz T-bird C), i neglected to connect the HSF header. Needless to say, the computer overheated and eventually BSODed. But, the CPU survived (I connected the fan back, and let it sit in the BIOS, so that there was airflow and cooled faster). So, the computer will probably BSOD before complete death happens.

-SammyBoy

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
i agree....ive seen it happen....thats what ive noticed when K7 core based PC's overheat....not like within a danger/damage zone but enough to not run correctly.....u get BSOD's and just general errors or lock-ups......so yea...

Ive never had it happen on mine...its pretty cool....but ive seen some 1GHz t-birds and such with some really cheap ass coolers on them and they dont run stable cuz of the heat......but that happens, nothign u can do about it....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Cowgoesmoo

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2002
Soltec has implimented the over heat protection on more than just its kt333 mboards. I bought a soltec kt266 based mboard a month ago (because I am to cheep to get kt333 and can't get 333 ram anyway) and it has the overheat protection in place which was one of the reasons why I bought it. Soltec is also one of the best performers according the the reviews here at least. Just make sure that it has the overheat protection on your mboard and all will be good. I felt the thermal prtection was worth the peace of mind myself as my house gets pretty damn hot in summer with no AC and 40c days.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How long did it run with no fan? It'll survive for awhile, but not long if your Mobo doesn't stop it... I did the same thing with a Duron I was working on once, booted it and walked away for about 15 minutes. Came back to a Bsod and felt the heat sink and burned my fingers! Cooled down and it was fine... but I don't know how much longer it would have lived. It was in an old A7V motherboar and I don't think those boards even had CPU overheat protection.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1 second, 2 seconds, 3, 4? what's the difference?

I'm sure the life flashing before the poor screaming tortured amd cpu would last several seconds to a minute.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMELTDOWN on 07/28/02 08:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I have a A7v333 running an XP1800+. I once switched it on without the Heatsink clipped on (It was just resting on the CPU). The comp shut off amost immediately. Still works fine.

<b><font color=red>I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.</font color=red></b>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I have the ASUS A7S333.....it is SUPPOSED TO do what urs did...but it does absolutely nothing......i can unplug the fan
and it still runs.....i can turn it on with the fan unplugged...so like WTF does ASUS C.O.P. actually do in this case ?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Ran about 5-10 minutes... when we restarted, it jumped to the PC health screen in the BIOS, and the CPU temp reading was in red, with the temp at around 100C.... needless to say, we shut down immediately. That was a year ago, and the system is still running fine, though a bit warm, even with a AX7 and 80MM Mechatronics fan going. That could be the under-die sensor though... it never was too accurate. By too warm, it's at around 45C (though the room is around 30C), while my AXP 1800+ with the same case and HSF is getting around 37C. Again, that could be due to the sensor placement, since the MSI KT3 actually reads the temp from the thermal diode in the XP.

-SammyBoy

Cowgoesmoo

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2002
If its anything like in soltec system then you has best make sure that it is turned on in the BIOS. Also if you read the posts above you will see than most people here say that the CPU will run just fine for a while before it heats up to danger zones and shuts down. It doesn't shut down if there is no fan is shuts down if the CPU gets to hot.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Ok ASUS C.O.P. cannot be enabled or disabled in the bios...thats 100% for sure...

and somebody mentioned that with no CPU fan plugged into the fan header the board wouldnt turn on...well mine does....and mien continues to run without the fan enabled and doesnt become unstable until it hits 86 degrees celcious...

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you sure about that? I wasn't aware the XP thermal sensor was how some boards read temps on the XP chips...

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Right now, the Asus A7V333 and the MSI KT3 Ultra read from the diode. If not there, I wouldn't know, since there is no thermoresistor in the middle of the socket anymore.

-SammyBoy

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
But think about the advantages, fellow! You may cook an egg on its heatsink!

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>

Cowgoesmoo

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2002
The soltec boards also read from the cpu diod. Not only the 333 models also the 266 ones. The new ones do any way. Mine definatly does.