??? Does AMD/nvidia care about the other guys ???

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well what about ALi, SiS (sis735), Via, ATi, Creative Labs. Well what about amd/nvidia (SNAP)

Lets review here ok...

ALi: ALi has come back with a good chipset for AMD the Magik 1. Well they Get hurt bad with the nforce. Stealing there low/mid range motherboards. Well it looks like the board that asus was banking with will be replace with a nforce board. Only safe place for ALi to is with Socket 478 a.k.a. northwood p4.

SiS: Well SiS looks like it could have chance against the nforce based on the SiS 735 north to south bridge is 1.0gb of bandwith over nforce 800mb bandwith. Giving SiS a chance to shine.

Via: Has been messing up alot lately (686b southbridge). Well i my view Via isn't really with AMD or Intel. There in it for themself's. Via C3 for Socket 370 why would they support a different platform like socket A. Well there is going to be a VIA C4 for socket 478 most likely. The Via PX266 for socket 478 uses a different southbridge "It works this time". The Socket 478 is prime for Chipset makers just like Socket 7 alittle while back. Via is for themselves but on an Intel platform.

ATi: As i remember ATi has P4 bus lincense. Well it wouldn't be amazing that nforce has no ATi support. Well if AMD pushes all these people into buying nforce guess what Loyal ATi fans are forced to a Intel system "unless for an ALi , via , sis chipset". Intergated Geforce2mx chipset guess what there would be no need to upgrade for a while killing ATi and STmicro(kyro) sales.

Creative Labs: Poor Creative Labs. Making Geforce 3 cards when the nvidia is going to attack your sound card market. Well maybe Creative needs to wake up. Yes, we all know about the new sound blaster in Fall 2001. Maybe Creative will make an Anti-nvidia move by making Kyro and ATi cards.

Here is some stuff from tom's review:

Then there is Creative Labs, who used to keep the sound card market tightly in its hands. nForce will be a threat to Creative as well. nForce's APU is not only much more powerful than anything Creative ever designed, it's also integrated into a chipset and comes virtually free. There won't be any nForce-board owner buying a Soundblaster Life.

VIA, ALi and SiS will also be less than amused about NVIDIA's bold move, although they should stand in awe of NVIDIA's technical achievements. How long has VIA been trying to create something similar? How badly have they failed ...? The same holds true for Intel. The i810 or i815 chipsets look simply pathetic next to nForce.

The only win for Intel was when it got the Xbox contract. Other than that Intel stands empty handed now
Maybe not TOMvidia. Remember isnt there big support for Socket 478. There is ALI, SIS, VIA, ATi. Well maybe the check is louder then the truth. Talk about this stuff.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

With all due respect, but you're making it sound as if nVidia shouldn't have created anything new and powerful in consideration of their competitors, leaving the end user (you and me) with worse choices. I have been waiting for the Crush chipset for months already, because no other DDR chipset (with a possible exception of Sis 735) was cutting it right.

Technical progress is not about not introducing new and better products just to make life easier to other, smaller companies. It is about moving forward. If anything, nVidia's achievements should wake everyone up. And hopefully, VIA, Creative Labs, etc. would also create new and better products while trying to keep up. That should shake them up from their complacency.

Leo

G

He just hates Nvidia because Nvidia isnt working with Intel.

So.. of course he hates them..

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
tbirdinside i just hate nvidia in general. ATi is working with Intel. Well i wouldn't mind building a SiS735 system.

First:
Almost Killing s3 "i was a savage4 owner at this time"

Second:
Buying out 3dfx "I had a voodoo2 for the longest time and very happy"

Third:
Pushing around the little guy's in the video card market. Forcing PowerColor to only make nvidia cards or stop shipping nvidia chips.

4th:
Remember that .PDF about bashing STmicro kyro 2 and Hercules. Well i guess you all forgot.

5th:
Now this trying to kill Creative Labs sound market now. And also hurting all AMD chipset makers business. Well i wouldn't stand for this.

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lets review the review:

ALi: doesn't have anything with competative performance.

SiS: Also has a pretty impressive offering. Only time will tell which will perform better. nVidia definately has the more interesting technology and feature set.

Via: Never had overly impressive offerings. Intel and AMD beat it in performance, systems have some bugs (Although my VIA based system is rock solid *shrug*)

ATI: They can make P4 chipsets, but are they? I haven't heard anything about anything on this issue, except that they have the license. As such, they're not even in the picture at the moment.

Creative Labs: They really haven't been pushing the envelope for quite some time. Perhaps nVidia will give them a kick in the pants and users will have a reason to upgrade. Its really not nVidia's fault they're competing with a sound card that has remained basically unchanged for a couple years now.

Finally, do you honestly believe the only reason Tom covered what may very well be the most revolutionary chipset in a decade because nVidia paid him to? This motherboard will put AMD in a much better position than Intel with OEMs. It will also put AMD in a better position with the consumer in terms of both price and performance. Every tech site on the web is buzzing about nForce, even the notoriously pro-Intel sites such as ZDnet.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
This is just business, hopefully the best product succeeds and the customer is rewarded with the best merchandise. If the competition can't match or exceed it then if they fold up then it is due to there own failings. I hope no company is limited by how much they can improve something. Does someone want to buy a faulty product or something that works much better? Survival of the fittest man. Not as if the other company personel are killed, they move on to better projects like the 3dfx people are now working for another company nVidia with a better looking future. I wouldn't worry to much if ATI folded because another company would rapidly take their place. I don't think ATI will fold, they are on the right track as far as I see it, they did take over the retail sells from Nvidia for the time being. It will be hard now for ATI to take back OEM sells from nVidia due to the intergrated 3d graphics of the NoForce chipset but ATI is also working on chipsets. It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out. ATI needs to remain profitable and competitive in which I think they will be doing.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 06/04/01 01:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dude you are so stupid it isn't even funny! For a company to make its own products WORSE just to make the competition look better is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard, and NO COMPANY ON THE PLANET does it! If ATI had the technology, know-how, and resources to make a chipset as capable and reakthrough as the nForce, they'd do it, so would AMD, Intel, Via, SiS, and ALi. Man, use you're brain.

If a company get's killed because a rival company is too good (S3, 3dfx), then that company doesn't deserve to be in that business field unless they change themselves to bea ble to compete. If nVidia never got so great, do you think we'd see Radeon's from ATI so soon? Very doubtful. Competition drives technology and makes things better for the consumers by bringing down prices, hastening innovation, and weeding out the weaker, worse products by those companies who just can't cut it. Grow up and learn economics before you make such statements that only show your ignorance on the subject.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
I for one am glad to see Nvidia's nForce. Shake things up, get a little fire under the feet. Why should nVidia be merciful to other companies just because some computer enthusiasts happen to be brand loyal? It's every man for himself out there, and nVidia just happens to have found a quicker way to the top at the moment.

nVidia's making some daring moves, and they're probably going see both sides of the sword here; but I applaud it. I know it's general human nature to hate the overachiever, but come on - a lot of good will come of this. I'm sure the aforementioned companies in this thread will be scrambling to put nForce in a grave by advancing their own products.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well i want to see some SiS735 vs. nforce

Shows you that this isnt the super human chipset just another one.

G

I want to see Tbird 1.4 + nForce VS. P4 1.7 + Rambus.

Who wins? :)

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dude, I thought you were smart...
apparently you let a few business decisions that you didn't like affect your judgement.
S3 ate Diamond MM if I remember correctly, the reason they didn't last is because the chips are simply weaker than damn near everything else.
3dfx, I liked my Voodoo 2 as well. Fact is, 3dfx stopped making true performance cards, they made "good enough" cards, nothing spectacular. ATI is still around because they have their hand in EVERY cookie jar, Dell, Compaq, Micron, Gateway, Sony, Toshiba, etc...
mass sales of the cheaper product makes money too.
nvidia makes the best graphics chip right now, not by much tho. ATI Radeon is good, if it were available when I got my MX, I probably would have gotten one of those, better 2d and video performance.
If nVidia didn't buy 3dfx, ATI would have.
get over yourself.
I doubt even 3dfx holds the grudge you do.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Are you trying to tell me the Geforce2 gts is better then the ATi radeon. LOL radeon tech wise is a much better card. Where some directx 8 features can be used on it where the Geforce2 gts is all directx 7. Image quality the Radeon kills any geforce card. Radeon 2 will blow anyway the Geforce3 in speed and image quality. Nvidia is jumping ship since they have 3 companys attacking them "aka STmicro, ATi, Trident".

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Trident?!

Ehhheehehe
Thanks for the laugh. Nvidia's only worries are from ATI and to a lesser degree STMicro but they could also end up cancelling each other out.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
they're comparable, the GTS has more brute force, but higher cpu usage during dvd playback.
to the end user, they're damn near identical, although, as I said above, if the Radeon LE was available when I got my MX, I would have gotten it instead.
and why are you comparing the dx7 Geforce 2 to the dx8 Radeon anyway?
what about the Geforce 3?
you have your opinion, I have mine, but going on a never ending mission to "distroy" nvidia for buying 3dfx is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Radeon is good, but they're already talking about its replacement so it can compete with the Geforce 3.
its a game of catch up.
whoever takes too long loses, and is possibly dropped from the game, like Diamond, S3(still here sorta), 3dfx...

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

TRENDING THREADS