Does an AMD 8150 FX and water cooler need TIM?

SPhillips1979

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Hi,
I am building a new system, and have opted for my first water cooled cpu, in the form of the AMD 8150 FX with water cooler, I have read the setup guides and instructions on websites, and no one mentions putting TIM on the CPU as you would with an air cooler, so I am taking it that the liquid cooler doesn't need this, but thought I would ask on here to see if someone can confirm this.
So um, stupid question I guess, but would feel happier with some input, so am I right in assuming that the liquid cooling kit doesn't need TIM?

Here is the accessory pack for the Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid Cooling System.
No thermal compound in the accessory kit.
35-209-049-Z09

SPhillips1979

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
yes that is at stocks, from what I have read a lot of people get round 40C with the 8150, with 62C being recommended limit (one person said thus equates to 80C actually).

I was expecting more like 20 or 30 with liquid cooling, though only from what I have seen from other chips.

Interestingly Ubuntu runs silent and cooler than Win 7 which runs the pump and fans full pelt.

I am going to change fans around and try that next, see if reversing air flow helps.

Fict1on

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Hi there, i have a similar set up, fx-8120 but i have a corsair h100, but my temps are 36c idle and 45-47 full load prime 95.

hi remember that your room temps also play a part in the temps.

good luck

SPhillips1979

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Seems similar to be honest, I noticed the machine clocked to 3.9ghz on auto settings in the bios, and have set it lower now to the rated speed of 3.6Ghz which might help a bit!

I have taken to leaving the cooling on extreme any way as I figure can't hurt to keep cold!

SPhillips1979

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Found some more ways as well which might help anyone looking to overclock an 8150 FX setup with a XFX 6770 Radeon card and ASUS motherboard,

The AMD Vision Engine Control Center has several options for OC such as

CPU power (a control panel which has a slider to drag CPU speed up and down, in my case from 3.9Ghz to 1.4Ghz)
CPU Overdrive (lets you auto tune the amount of overclocking to test best performance for your system)
Graphic Card Overdrive (lets you clock the Graphics Card)
AMD Overdrive (Enables a mix of these features)

The ASUS AI Suite comes with several utilities

AI Booster (lets you tweak CPU settings on the fly, from multiplier, to ram voltage)
AI Suite (lets you control performance and Q-fan)
AI N.O.S (auto overclocks and boosts CPU performance when needed)
Asus EPU (lets you specify power profiles and performance, set the energy saving to heavy voltage drops and it runs ice cold, good for energy saving on hard disk too)
Turbo Key (Turns the power button into an instant overclock, in my case jumping the top speed from 3.9Ghz to 4.2Ghz as needed)

With these tools and AMD Chillcontrol V pump and fan control, you can have some fun overclocking without even going to the BIOS!