[SOLVED] Does an Asus H97M-E/CSM work with an Nvidia Quadro 6000

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Hello.
I am considering purchasing an Nvidia Quadro 6000 and I am wondering if its compatible with my motherboard, which is an Asus H97M-E/CSM

If you need more information, I'll be more than happy to provide it.

Thank you for your time.
A noob.

Last edited:
Solution
This is probably the least expensive option that makes any real sense at all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EUUIWZ6?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

But this is the option that makes the MOST sense, without spending any more than absolutely necessary. This also gives you the option to upgrade to a substantially better CPU later, without being out anything more than the 99.00 this CPU costs, if you decide to do so, and of course if that's the case you can always either sell this CPU to recoup some of the costs of the upgrade at that time OR keep it for troubleshooting purposes or for building another cheap system with.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @...

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Im sorry. I wont do that again.
The card is used. Is this a a bad idea then?

I am currently running a Gigabit Geforce GT730

If so, Could you recommend a Video card that would fit my motherboard at a reasonable price? even if it was something I looked for used.

Last edited:

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
I have a thermaltake tr2 430w and I don't believe it has the 6+8 pin power...
Its better than my Gigabit Geforce GT730 though right? would it be worth it, and a new power supply (even though I just bought the 430w)

Ps. I don't have a lot to spend 💫 I just want to be able to play fortnite a tiny bit better with my kids (They have their own xboxs' but I dable in game design so this would be mainly for that).

Last edited:
That Quadro is not a gaming card, and you really can't use it for gaming. I mean, you CAN, but they are not intended for gaming and the performance is probably going to be less than desirable.

How much were you planning to spend on that Quadro card? How much can you budget for a graphics card?

Most likely, you might need a new PSU as well, depending on what graphics card you go with because the TR2 is a poor quality unit and isn't going to support a very capable graphics card. But, there might be a few options out there that might work.

Just depends on budget really.

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
the guy I was talking to is a different seller, says working but used. should I still foget it? I already bought it to be honest, but he hasn't shipped it yet and I still have till the morning to let him know otherwise.

He said he only had one on his ad, but then admitted he had a few of them in conversation afterwards.

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
I've already contacted the seller who said I could change my mind if I decide otherwise.. Hopefully he honors it though.. Sigh..

Massively you say? (Edit: And how!) What could I look into as a higher tier that might work with my crappy psu, and look for used?

I'd also like to take this moment to say thank you to al l of you for you helping me save 175 bucks. (Im sure he will honor it)

Last edited:
By "not for gaming" that's exactly what I mean. It's a workstation card. For productivity and design work. It's not meant for gaming. It's not a gaming card. Cancel it.

Trying to use a Quadro card for gaming is like trying to use a Prius for doing construction. Yeah, it will get you there, but you'll be seriously limited in what you can do on the job and it's going to really suck if you need to carry a load. Same thing here.

You want a gaming card, and, you REALLY want to replace that PSU. It's a serious piece of worthlessness when it comes to being used with any kind of gaming card. Sorry Matt, but there's no way I'd recommend trying to run a 1650 Super that needs a six pin connector on a PSU that when new could barely do 350w, but is now somewhere between 10 and 12 years old because that unit hasn't been manufactured since about 2010 so far as I know. Any of them out there for sale from the last few years are certainly old stock unless Thermalfake is running production on 2008 platforms.

With the price of things right now, considering the major push for gaming purchases by people stuck at home for the last few months, and the lack of any re-supply from China where 99% of these power supplies and graphics cards are manufactured, there's no realistic way you can get a worthwhile graphics card AND a halfway decent power supply for 200 dollars, in the Canadian market. Used, maybe, but that's an incredible risk in my opinion. Not worth the risk to be honest. About the best I can see right now, even for a very basic entry level graphics card that is at least moderately capable at 1080p and a decent, but budget power supply that isn't a complete turd, you're looking at about 300 bucks CA.

Used you might have a lot more options, but you also have exceedingly more risk involved and if you, or anybody else, actually believes that Ebay will enforce a refund if you get a graphics card that takes a crap after a week or a month, then you, and they, are just fooling yourselves. If it's used, and the person you are buying it from isn't somebody you know well enough to invite to your mother's house for dinner, then it's a poor option IMO.

Reactions: XxLiveLivelyxX
I've already contacted the seller who said I could change my mind if I decide otherwise.. Hopefully he honors it though.. Sigh..

Massively you say? (Edit: And how!) What could I look into as a higher tier that might work with my crappy psu, and look for used?

I'd also like to take this moment to say thank you to al l of you for you helping me save 175 bucks. (Im sure he will honor it)

Forget used with that psu is my advice.

We've come so far with efficiency that a 1650 with very low power draw performs aswell or better than a mid range 200w gpu from 2 generations ago.

The fermi cards don't even have official nvidia support anymore, they dropped any form of driver optimisation over 2 years ago.
They still work but performance is incredibly poor compared to current gen cards.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnoqX4S1AdM&app=desktop

Bus powered gtx 1650 (non super) vs a gtx 970 which 4 years ago was the goto gamers card for high/ultra setting 1080p gaming.

The 970 pulled 150-200w, and cost around $350.

Reactions: XxLiveLivelyxX
By "not for gaming" that's exactly what I mean. It's a workstation card. For productivity and design work. It's not meant for gaming. It's not a gaming card. Cancel it.

Trying to use a Quadro card for gaming is like trying to use a Prius for doing construction. Yeah, it will get you there, but you'll be seriously limited in what you can do on the job and it's going to really suck if you need to carry a load. Same thing here.

You want a gaming card, and, you REALLY want to replace that PSU. It's a serious piece of worthlessness when it comes to being used with any kind of gaming card. Sorry Matt, but there's no way I'd recommend trying to run a 1650 Super that needs a six pin connector on a PSU that when new could barely do 350w, but is now somewhere between 10 and 12 years old because that unit hasn't been manufactured since about 2010 so far as I know. Any of them out there for sale from the last few years are certainly old stock unless Thermalfake is running production on 2008 platforms.

With the price of things right now, considering the major push for gaming purchases by people stuck at home for the last few months, and the lack of any re-supply from China where 99% of these power supplies and graphics cards are manufactured, there's no realistic way you can get a worthwhile graphics card AND a halfway decent power supply for 200 dollars, in the Canadian market. Used, maybe, but that's an incredible risk in my opinion. Not worth the risk to be honest. About the best I can see right now, even for a very basic entry level graphics card that is at least moderately capable at 1080p and a decent, but budget power supply that isn't a complete turd, you're looking at about 300 bucks CA.

Used you might have a lot more options, but you also have exceedingly more risk involved and if you, or anybody else, actually believes that Ebay will enforce a refund if you get a graphics card that takes a crap after a week or a month, then you, and they, are just fooling yourselves. If it's used, and the person you are buying it from isn't somebody you know well enough to invite to your mother's house for dinner, then it's a poor option IMO.

I agree, was just stating that that is absolutely the best card he could consider running.
I wouldn't use that psu full stop, maybe in an old system without a discrete card I didn't care anything about at all.

I'd TELL them I want a refund, because you discovered what a terrible unit it actually is from the folks at Tom's hardware. Or tell them you opened it and then realized it won't work with the graphics card you intended to get because it lacks the necessary connectors and capacity. Whatever you want to tell them, it shouldn't be a problem really.

You should read ALL of these, before you make another purchase decision.

First post here:

This:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/blog/why-does-a-better-power-supply-mean-a-better-computer-experience

And this:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Seller refunded me :)

So now, I just need to read those articles above and ill get back to you on how things go at best buy later. Not sure about my approach yet, but I am a little disturbed that I paid 70 dollars for a 350w (falsely advertised) firehazard.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Alright, thanks!
Seller refunded me :)

So now, I just need to read those articles above and ill get back to you on how things go at best buy later. Not sure about my approach yet, but I am a little disturbed that I paid 70 dollars for a 350w (falsely advertised) firehazard.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

If you have mobile Internet then I'd suggest you ask on here after seeing what they have in stock. I've finished work now so if you want to pm me I'll respond prett much immediately.

Looking on the net Canada is having it really hard on psu prices at the moment.

Regarding what to say at best buy (package it back up best you can) state simply that it only has a 4 pin cpu connector and it only has 2 sata connectors.

Thats absolutely below spec for pretty much any current pc system (or anything from the last 5 years minimum).

Any psu over 300w should have a 8 Pin cpu power and at least 4 sata connectors.

Last edited:

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
@madmatt30 / @Darkbreeze Good news. I got my refund for psu. I had to, of course, give them the whole rigamaroll but I eventually left the store happy.

Just want to at this point take a moment to thank you guys for having guided me in this direction, its sincerily appreciated.

That said, I have 350 dollars or less to work with. I know it's not much in the world of pcs but it's what I've got.. I could push as far as 400 but would love to keep it closer to 300.. :)

Last edited:
I don't see any monitor listed there, and that's what I want to know about. The resolution of the monitor, or the monitor model?

Also, you don't have to @. Our forum software automatically notifies us when there has been a reply to any thread we are participating in. In fact, it does that for every member unless you turn off the feature.