[SOLVED] Does an Asus H97M-E/CSM work with an Nvidia Quadro 6000

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Hello.
I am considering purchasing an Nvidia Quadro 6000 and I am wondering if its compatible with my motherboard, which is an Asus H97M-E/CSM

If you need more information, I'll be more than happy to provide it.

Thank you for your time.
A noob.

Last edited:
Solution
This is probably the least expensive option that makes any real sense at all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EUUIWZ6?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

But this is the option that makes the MOST sense, without spending any more than absolutely necessary. This also gives you the option to upgrade to a substantially better CPU later, without being out anything more than the 99.00 this CPU costs, if you decide to do so, and of course if that's the case you can always either sell this CPU to recoup some of the costs of the upgrade at that time OR keep it for troubleshooting purposes or for building another cheap system with.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @...
Really, it doesn't matter. If you want to get the MOST bang for your buck, for any 1080p or lower resolution system, then the two items I listed above are probably your very best bet for the price, as of right now.

Coming from A GT 730 it's going to feel like going from a 1974 Ford Pinto to an F16.

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
So, my only question is, what are the odds this thing dies in 5 months, as it did for another person who left their review. (The sapphire) I've felt iffy about radeon ever since I updated my windows 8 pc to win 10, and my gpu drivers malfunctioned. I couldnt figure it out.. should have come here lol. Also, it was an amd radeon, not a sapphire. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I should mention this was all on my laptop

Last edited:
So, my only question is, what are the odds this thing dies in 5 months, as it did for another person who left their review. (The sapphire) I've felt iffy about radeon ever since I updated my windows 8 pc to win 10, and my gpu drivers malfunctioned. I couldnt figure it out.. should have come here lol. Also, it was an amd radeon, not a sapphire. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I should mention this was all on my laptop

Sapphire cards are pretty much amd's finest. I own a 580 pulse myself, recently swapped out for a newer card but its served me will for 2 + years, runs very quiet and very cool.

We may have an issue with those monitors though, can you list what they actually are.

The issue being 99% of this and last gen cards do not have any analog output at all. Meaning if those old monitors are vga or dvi analog only they are not going to work with a modern gpu.

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
I see your point. And it's a good one. To be honest I didnt think of that... but knowing it's what you're upgrading from is reassuring that its fairly new lol.

Well, for now I have a hdmi to dvi adaptor that has served me well in the past for other hodge podge situations to get me by. But I will look into acquiring a new monitor once my wallet recovers from this massacre lol.

The Fatboy has a noisy cooler IIRC. The Armor is the lowest end MSI model for pretty much all of the AMD families.

The Pulse or Nitro cards by Sapphire are a lot nicer cards if you're going to go AMD. As Matt said, Sapphire is pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to AMD based cards. XFX is not bad, they make good products, usually. MSI is ok too, but you have to pay attention to what models you're looking at because they have both good and pretty crappy ones as well.

That Sapphire product page says it has HDMI, Displayport AND DVI-D, and the picture shows it has it as well.

https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-rx-580-8g-g5#Specification

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
For the fatboy, does its performance increase significantly enough that one could simply look past the noise produced by its cooling system? I mean I'd likely go with what you're both suggesting, simply due to your knowledge in the field, but it's also good to note that,if it's not that bad, and does offer a performance boost that makes it worth the noise, I may be interested. Seems worth investing 20 dollars more or whatever and get something a little bit better if possible.

I see what you mean Matt. Sorry, I misunderstood. That or the adaptor converts it to digital, but I've used it on old monitors before in a much less than usual way... lol.

This, upon further inspection, is actually the lite version; and does not have a dvi port.

Its not really a 'lite' it has 2 x hdmi 2 and 2 x display port.
Mainly because dvi is pretty much a dead technology now.

Regarding gpu's.
With that pentium you're not really going to see a difference between a 580, 590 or a 1650 super.

1650 supers are actually on offer for less than £230 at the minute.

From where I'm looking one of those and a Corsair cx450 would get you down to just over $300.

Just a suggestion but it may interest you.

One factor I'd seriously keep in mind though, is to not completely limit yourself to ONLY what is well matched with the CPU you have now. At some point you might change CPUs or even the whole platform, to something substantially more capable and if you do, and if you purchased a graphics card that was only capable enough to support the current CPU with no thought to the future, even two or three years out, you might end up in a situation later where you wish you'd have purchased something better than the 1650 which, while I agree is substantially better than what you have now, is also substantially LESS of a performer compared to the similarly priced RX 580, which is a terrific 1080p card especially for the price.

But I'm not against any of these options, especially considering what you have now and where you are coming from, it is just that it is worth mentioning because VERY OFTEN we see people in your exact situation who a few months later come back lamenting about how they wish they'd have spent the money on something a little better because now they have upgraded the rest of the system and the graphics card is the thing holding them back. As well, even with a relatively weak CPU, having as good of a graphics card as you can afford is often not a bad thing because many games are primarily GPU bound and don't need the best of CPUs, especially if you are not looking for high FPS gaming which obviously you are not on those monitors. A good card can mean great eye candy even with a weak CPU, and if you upgrade your monitor too at some point to something more modern, the eye candy might be a very important aspect for you.

With that pentium you're not really going to see a difference between a 580, 590 or a 1650 super.

Sorry Matt, but I don't necessarily agree with this. It really depends on the specific games involved and what the quality settings are set to as well. In general, it's accurate advise, but there are a lot of specific circumstances where it might not be all that applicable, especially if there are any changes at some later date. Most people that start gaming don't stick with their Pentiums for too long once they get the bug.

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Well, based on all thats been discussed, I am actually thinking of going with the RX580 lite. As Matt had mentioned in a pm, it won't make that significant of a difference, and I'd be saving myself a hassle in the long run it seems, for a mere 6% difference.. Until I get my new monitor, I'll just use some dvi adaptors and be happy with that lol.

So Here is the breakdown:
https://www.dropbox.com/h?preview=purchase.PNG

Last edited:
We can't see anything at your dropbox link because we are not logged into your account. Using PC Partpicker is the best way to share hardware and component builds, parts of configurations, or simply linking to the actual product pages on the vendor sites, but honestly I think at this point you probably have more than enough information to make a good, informed decision yourself, so I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be miles from where you were previously.

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Well, you are correct. Definitly have more than enough knowledge now lol, So thank you!

I went with the RX580 sapphire lite and a corsair cv550

Edit: Sorry for the late reply; That link should have worked. I shared a link to the image, not the page itself.. weird.

Also, the order came up to 357.
A bit more than I initially wanted to spend, but makes more sense to purchase something that will last me a few years, rather than a year or two at most before things get amped up once more.. if that even makes any sense. Im so tired at this point in the day lol.

You'll be more than happy with the 580, It's still a solid performer even though it's 3 year old tech, compared to the nvidia 970nwhich was its biggest competitor at the time, the 580 has aged way way better.

This isn't heresay, I still own both cards and have directly compared them, there's a big difference on newer titles between the two - all wildly in favour of the amd card

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Well, I'm sure I'd have been happy with any of the GPU's brought up here in discussion... lol. Cant wait to drive my Ferrari;)

I'll definitely be back with more questions lol. Over the years I've found myself here reading through posts quite often looking for help, but this was a far better experience than I'd have guessed it could be. You guys were very helpful! Thank you very much.

Reactions: madmatt30

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
So my parts arrived today. I installed my graphics card, and set up my monitors. I went and got myself a cheap hd lg 22inch monitor for now, and i'll also have my hdmi -> DVI adaptor.

I installed the drivers that were on the cd it comes with.

Restarted my pc.

And to my dismay, it doesn't run Fortnite any better than my other graphics card... why could this be?

and not to nit-pick, but I dont feel like images look as good as they could.