Does an ethernet cable need to go through a router?

02ryan48

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Can an ethernet cable be put directly into the wall or does it need to go through a router first? Also can you use different routers to the one given to you by the isp?

02ryan48

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

I'm trying to connect to my computer however my router is downstairs and so I do not get signal and it's too far to connect an Ethernet cable to, however there's a socket on the wall very close to me that used to have the router in (I can't move the router back) that I want to plug an Ethernet cable into and run it direct to my computer

Sep 13, 2014

You either need to purchase a very long Ethernet cable or a Wi FI adapter. It might be a bit pricey, but you can find a cable long enough to fit your needs, run it along the baseboard if need be.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Trying to connect your computer to what?? Another computer? The internet?? You still didn't say.

I will assume it is for internet service. You get internet service for your computer by plugging your computer into the router with an Ethernet cable. Unless the jack in your wall is connected to an ethernet cable that runs through the wall to you router, and it is plugged in at that end too, you can't just plug the computer into the wall jack.

I bet the wall jack is not even big enough for your ethernet cable. You need to connect the computer directly to the router (via a eithernet wire or by wifi) to get internet service.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I've done wiring cat5 cable in house and whatever location they all lead to is the place the router will be. And yes, you can use different routers, they all have the same setup fields you enter your details for your isp connection.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

I think his second post doesn't say what "service" he wants. He said "trying to connect to my computer". Did he mean one PC to another PC, or connect the internet to his computer? Or...? It wasn't clear, so I asked. Big difference on how to easily accomplish the two goals. One doesn't even need a router involved.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

If you have wired your house with Cat5 in the walls, and those wires all run back to a point where your router is located, and you plug them into your router, you might be good. As long as everything was properly terminated, you can just plug your computer into the wall via a Cat5 cable and get internet service or connect to other systems in your house on that network.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I've wired with straight cat5 cables all terminating to a single location, needing a router.

Yes it is confusing, if there are multiple cat5 plugs in the house then can maybe assume the cat5 cables used are straight. Crossover is possible but need more info.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Yes, you want straight connections from all PCs to the router. You would only use a cross over from one PC to another PC. However, most modern equipment can correct for the wrong cable being used.

Plug your PC into the wall and then find the right cable by the router and plug it into the router, you should have service then if everything was terminated correctly.