[SOLVED] Does an OC GPU make any difference on older PCI 2.0 motherboard?

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I have an older ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard (PCI-E 2.0) I would like to replace the video card so I can have higher resolution for my new 32 inch monitor.

I am considering (but open to other models) the GEFORCE GTX Super 1650 (overclocked) and the regular 1650 (both PCI-E 3.0). Considering the outrageous prices for GPUs these days, every little bit of saving helps. But if there's no benefit considering these cards need PCI-E 3.0 then I will go for the less expensive version.

Does it make a difference if the GPU is overclocked given the limitation of my motherboard?

Thanks

Solution
Really? What GPU would you suggest then? If it's possible, I wouldn't mind using a new GPU that could also be used in a new build I plan to get, perhaps in a year or two.
I believe with PCI-E 2.0 you could go all the way up to about a 2080 Super without seeing much if any loss of performance.

This is using a 2080ti. Almost no difference in 2.0 and 3.0.

The first link don't really show 2.0 X 16 so you can use the 3.0 X 8 for the reference since it's right at the same bandwidth.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have an older ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard (PCI-E 2.0) I would like to replace the video card so I can have higher resolution for my new 32 inch monitor.

I am considering (but open to other models) the GEFORCE GTX Super 1650 (overclocked) and the regular 1650 (both PCI-E 3.0). Considering the outrageous prices for GPUs these days, every little bit of saving helps. But if there's no benefit considering these cards need PCI-E 3.0 then I will go for the less expensive version.

Does it make a difference if the GPU is overclocked given the limitation of my motherboard?

Thanks
It takes a lot better card than a 1650 super to saturate a 2.0 lane.

ak195

Distinguished
If GPU is OC, then there are normally three options, first they are default boosted as compared to normal GPU, but little, may be maximum 6 - 9% performance increase. and there build are strong for overclocking and you will gain more speed as compared to normal GPU in OC mode.
Using GPU whether it OC or Not, in PCI-E 2.0 instead of 3.0 (if card supports 3.0), can make easily difference of at least 2 - 3fps.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Really? What GPU would you suggest then? If it's possible, I wouldn't mind using a new GPU that could also be used in a new build I plan to get, perhaps in a year or two.
I believe with PCI-E 2.0 you could go all the way up to about a 2080 Super without seeing much if any loss of performance.

This is using a 2080ti. Almost no difference in 2.0 and 3.0.

The first link don't really show 2.0 X 16 so you can use the 3.0 X 8 for the reference since it's right at the same bandwidth.

Solution
Unfortunately, good graphics cards are today all out of stock.
Thanks, cryptominers :(
The good ones have been bid up by scalpers.
Still, you can run any card you want, pcie2/3/4 are all both forward and backwards compatible.
If there is any difference in performance, it happens only on the very strongest of cards, and then only perhaps 5%.

What is your current graphics card?
What is the make/model of your new monitor?
If it has a displayport input, you can usually run 4k@60hz with even integrated HD630 graphics.
Not so good for gaming, but for desktop work it is very good.

On a side note for future reference, the only time PCIe bandwidth becomes a problem is if the GPU actually runs out of VRAM and has to swap its contents to system RAM. This was the problem that plagued the RX 5500 when running on a PCIe 3.0 bus. Otherwise, if the actual VRAM usage can be contained in the VRAM size, then you can usually run most cards down to PCIe 3.0 x4 or the equivalent with minimal performance loss.

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Unfortunately, good graphics cards are today all out of stock.
Thanks, cryptominers :(
The good ones have been bid up by scalpers.
Still, you can run any card you want, pcie2/3/4 are all both forward and backwards compatible.
If there is any difference in performance, it happens only on the very strongest of cards, and then only perhaps 5%.

What is your current graphics card?
What is the make/model of your new monitor?
If it has a displayport input, you can usually run 4k@60hz with even integrated HD630 graphics.
Not so good for gaming, but for desktop work it is very good.

Dang. I read an article last month that NVidia will be bring back old cards that aren't mining compatible.

My monitor is a Lenovo C32qc-20. It only has a DP and HDMI 1.4 port. Maximum resolution is 2560 x 1440 and 75 Hz.

My video card is: Powercolor Radeon HD 5770 850MHZ 1GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 1.0 VGA DIRECTX11 PCI-E Video Card [AX5770 1GBD5-H.

While my GPU can reach a resolution to 2560 x 1440 but only with dual channel DVI connection. My HDMI is first generation of 1.0.

I've researched HDMI/DVI adapters and verified with Lenovo that there's no inexpensive option as these adapters sold online won't provide any resolution higher than what I'm getting now which — 1920x1200.

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Sadly, the 1030 graphics card is extremely hard to find where I am.

There are many variants with this card, some being sold with DDR4 and others with DDR5. The ones that are available are quite limited to no DP and only 1920 resolution. While I prefer to use my HDMI cables, I was reading there might be issues in achieving 2560 x 1440 and at 75 Hz unless I use a DP.

Apparently this card has had it's controversies too.

Sadly, the 1030 graphics card is extremely hard to find where I am.

There are many variants with this card, some being sold with DDR4 and others with DDR5. The ones that are available are quite limited to no DP and only 1920 resolution. While I prefer to use my HDMI cables, I was reading there might be issues in achieving 2560 x 1440 and at 75 Hz unless I use a DP.

Apparently this card has had it's controversies too.
Can you find a EVGA GTX750ti SC?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-NVIDI...sh=item3b59133ed7:g:KmsAAOSwFnJgSMUH&LH_BIN=1
I use one to run a 4k monitor @60hz via displayport.
As a gamer, it is a tad stronger than the GT1030 and is similarly priced when used.

Thanks

It would depend a lot on how much overclock, what rez, and game options.

For example: Cranking up to ultra textures will cause more bus use texture swap. Your card will more likely sit idle.

If you play an older game (ie: CS:GO) at 1080p, then the CPU will likely be the bottleneck. So overclocking the GPU won't help much. But if you crank to 1440p (which I would not recommend with that card) an overclock will help because you are not CPU bottlenecked.

Newb888

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Can you find a EVGA GTX750ti SC?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-750Ti-2GB-GDDR5-Graphic-Card-Super-Clocked-no-6-8-pin/254897503959?epid=220472986&hash=item3b59133ed7:g:KmsAAOSwFnJgSMUH&LH_BIN=1
I use one to run a 4k monitor @60hz via displayport.
As a gamer, it is a tad stronger than the GT1030 and is similarly priced when used.

Unfortunately not. That card on ebay at full price will be almost $160 USD. I won't be using any new video card for gaming, just to improve the resolution and clarify of the screen whilst it's maxed out at 1920 now.
It would depend a lot on how much overclock, what rez, and game options.

For example: Cranking up to ultra textures will cause more bus use texture swap. Your card will more likely sit idle.

If you play an older game (ie: CS:GO) at 1080p, then the CPU will likely be the bottleneck. So overclocking the GPU won't help much. But if you crank to 1440p (which I would not recommend with that card) an overclock will help because you are not CPU bottlenecked.
I prefer to use HDMI so I don't have to buy a DP cable but the video card would need to work at 2560x1600 via HDMI. I won't be doing any gaming. I just to improve the resolution and clarify of the screen whilst it's maxed out at 1920 now.