Does an operating system have to be installed on an SSD by itself?

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
Does an operating system have to be installed on a solid state drive by itself? Or can you have other programs on there as well?

Right now, I have a 1TB 7200RPM HDD, which I want to replace with a 1TB SSD.

pyeloyev

Reputable
Jun 24, 2018
Games also benefit greatly from SSD. In fact I'd say games benefit especially. I keep my OS, apps, and games on my SSD. Movies go on the 2TB HDD since pretty much any 1080p movie will play fine from even a USB connection an a SATA HDD is faster than that, so you get no benefit from having your movies on an SSD. Same goes for music.

1TB is a LOT of space. What do you use it for?

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017

High-end gaming, lots of it.

true, any games i currently am playing on my PC i put on my SSD drive, any games i am done with or not playing at the time i move over to my HDD

pyeloyev

Reputable
Jun 24, 2018

Then you need to estimate how much space you expect to use with your games and pick the appropriately sized SSD for them.

As for brands, I had trouble with a brand new crucial SSD not being detected at boot time half the time. Replaced it with a SAMSUNG and never had an issue. They are a bit pricier, though, but the extra reliability is totally worth it to me, especially with something like an operating system drive.

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
If your OS is installed on it's own SSD, it has to communicate with programs on other drives through the SATA bus, which can cause a bottleneck.

When everything is all in one place, then the OS doesn't need to do that.

WD are pretty good too, they have a WD blue SATA III SSD drive an a WD black NVMe

USAFRet

Titan

Given reasonable quality SSD's, it mostly doesn't make a difference.

I have the OS and applications on one SSD, and all the data lives on other drives, all SSD's.
I defy anyone to sit at this PC and tell the difference between data sitting on the C drive SSD, or data living on the other SSD's.

Dugimodo

Distinguished

Sorry but that's completely wrong. All data and programs have to be loaded off a drive, whether it's the same drive as the OS or not has absolutely zero effect. All that matters is the speed and type of the drive and the interface it uses.

Programs run in memory, not on the drive. And no data magically moves itself around within a drive, it all goes back and forth over the bus to RAM. When you run a program from another drive it doesn't go from one drive to another, it goes from each drive to memory.

Using separate drives can actually increase bandwidth and decrease bottlenecks as each drive can use it's own bus at full speed while the other drive does other things.

The only real reason a program might run worse of another drive is if that drive is slower than the OS drive or say there's only one NVME interface so it has to use a slower SATA type drive.

The one exception to this is when you are moving a file, if you move it within the same drive it's much faster. But that's because it doesn't actually move anywhere, just the way the file system addresses it is changed to make it look like it moved.