Question Does an SSD improve FPS or ingame performance?

I had a game on a HDD that would stutter a ton. My FPS was almost always 30+, but almost unplayable. I moved it to an SSD when I got one, and the FPS was pretty much the same, but I could actually play, since the stutters were gone. So, they can help with gaming performance, but not with FPS.

Reactions: ElectrO_90

_DRBAS_

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
An SSD is a storage device known for its fast read and write speeds, meaning the time it takes for your game to load files will be significantly quicker. For example, if you are experiencing lag spikes a result of slow loading of in-game content, including maps - an SSD will most definitely help.
If you are hoping to improve FPS, unfortunately, it will not help much - if at all. You see, FPS stands for Frames Per Second and each frame is rendered by the system's GPU. The GPU is in charge of rendering audio, visual and animations which are then sent to your eyeballs for your viewing enjoyment. Sadly, the SSD has no effect on the actual display aspect of your game and so you will not experience better FPS.

An SSD is a storage device known for its fast read and write speeds, meaning the time it takes for your game to load files will be significantly quicker. For example, if you are experiencing lag spikes a result of slow loading of in-game content, including maps - an SSD will most definitely help.
If you are hoping to improve FPS, unfortunately, it will not help much - if at all. You see, FPS stands for Frames Per Second and each frame is rendered by the system's GPU. The GPU is in charge of rendering audio, visual and animations which are then sent to your eyeballs for your viewing enjoyment. Sadly, the SSD has no effect on the actual display aspect of your game and so you will not experience better FPS.
That would be true but not always. With a marginal system any reads and writes to a storage device also take other resources like CPU and memory (windows always are doing something on them), SSDs as very fast disks are much less of a load on the system.