[SOLVED] Does any ddr4 ram work?

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
So im making a new pc. I've already asked a couple of questions but my last thing to ask is can i just use any ddr4 ram?
Im going to use a asrock b450 steel legend board with a amd ryzen 5 2600.

Solution
Recomendations are not to mix and match different Ram chips.
If your installing more that 1 they should be in matched sets.
Look at asus's web site they will have suggestions for your board, their suggestions will be affordable to expensive.
You can install the old ones and see what happens, with my older slower boards I've had mixed results.
Recomendations are not to mix and match different Ram chips.
If your installing more that 1 they should be in matched sets.
Look at asus's web site they will have suggestions for your board, their suggestions will be affordable to expensive.
You can install the old ones and see what happens, with my older slower boards I've had mixed results.

Solution

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
There's a QVL list for every (non OEM) motherboard. They were tested to work on that very board model. But any module/kit with compatible frequency, capacity and voltage should work.
Though mix and matching is at your own risk.

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
What about buffered and unbuffered memory? Which should I get? I have been looking unbuffered seems to be cheaper. What are the differences?
And ive been looking and ive mostly been seeing CL15 and CL16 ram. What are the better option?

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
"Buffered" and "registered" memory is meant for servers, because they have active memory correction, since they can't afford any downtime. Any way, ram is very stable.
That kind of memory is not compatible with most of the motherboards (unless they're expensive "enthusiast" boards).

TRENDING THREADS