Question Does any PC vendors still sell partial custom builds?

Jaggy

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I’ve bought a few dating back like 15 years ago. But none of the sites I looked into has this option anymore, they use to. Like ibuypower, cyberpowerpc, and several others. For example, already got a graphics card and OS, don’t need them. But no custom builder sites allow options to not buy them. It’s forced now, cant delete them. Any sites out there I missed that allow this?

Yeah I know I can always buy the parts I want and build it myself. But been there done that and don’t have the time or patience these days to do it. Plus I’m lazy too! :p

Jaggy

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Yep; haven't heard much about that in the last 10 plus years.

Use to be called "barebones" or "bare bones" systems.

You can get a few Google hits.

Such as this one; have no further info:

https://www.cpusolutions.com/store/pc/Gaming-Barebones-PCs-c292.htm
Thanks for the link! Yeah last gaming pc I bought was back in 2014. Wow 8 yrs ago now, still getting great performance out of it. Though bought 2 graphics card upgrades since then though. I’m still gaming at 1080.
Anyway, I might get a build from that link but price seems a little high. Will keep looking and check out the pc part picker option a bit too.

Found another vendor here, https://www.magicmicro.com/
‘Seems cheaper here too! (y)

Took a quick look at Magic Micro stuff....

Unfortunately, I see a lot of vague and non-specific info about the power supplies.

That is a hallmark of the likes of Cyberpower and similar outfits. They use low end power supplies and hope you won't notice or care.

Maybe you can select a known good quality at some of these places. Did not fully check, but if you cannot, I'd be very wary.

Ditto "custom gaming tower"...what in the world is that?

Reactions: Jaggy

Jaggy

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Yeah I’m well aware of this, I got burned by Alienware like 20 yrs ago. The sh!tty PS they installed fried my cpu/mb after only having a 2k rig for like 3 yrs.

At that site, they do have detailed info about the PS, click the little “I” for info. They got some decent brands, Corsair, EVGA, Thermaltake, etc. I think what you’re referring to is their default, no name, generic, very cheap option. Which is a big no no of course. But thanks for the warning.

Jaggy

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Took a quick look at Magic Micro stuff....

Unfortunately, I see a lot of vague and non-specific info about the power supplies.

That is a hallmark of the likes of Cyberpower and similar outfits. They use low end power supplies and hope you won't notice or care.

Maybe you can select a known good quality at some of these places. Did not fully check, but if you cannot, I'd be very wary.

Ditto "custom gaming tower"...what in the world is that?
Actually you’re right, I did find some builds with nothing but generic no name brand memory. So I went back and bought a build from avadirect. I really like this site, nearly all their options were from decent brands. Also the prices were slightly cheaper too along with $80 bucks off from their Black Friday sale.

Anyway here is the build I went with. $683 was the damage!
  • Fractal Design Focus G - Black w/ Window, No PSU, ATX, Mid Tower Case
  • ASUS Prime B560-Plus, Intel® B560 Chipset, LGA 1200, DP, ATX Motherboard
  • INTEL Core™ i5-11400F 6-Core 2.6 - 4.4GHz Turbo, LGA 1200, 65W TDP, OEM Processor
  • KINGSTON 16GB (2 x 8GB) FURY Beast DDR4 3200MHz, CL16, Black, DIMM Memory
  • THERMALTAKE Smart BX1, 80 PLUS Bronze 750W, No Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • COOLER MASTER Vortex Plus, 84mm Height, Copper/Aluminum CPU Cooler
  • SAMSUNG 1TB 970 EVO Plus 2280, 3500 / 3300 MB/s,