Does anybody know of any surround sound software for linux?

Sol33t303

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2016
I just moved from windows 10 to ubuntu, the surround sound software I used to use was razer surround but that isn't supported on Linux. does anybody know of any alternatives that will work on Linux?

Solution

This is wrong. Ubuntu 17.04 is not an LTS release, LTS...

Sol33t303

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2016

Thank you, from what I could tell it worked. I didn't know you could adjust the channels from one of the configuration channels. But since I could set it to anything, does that mean I can have as many channels as I want? if that's the case then why not set it to something in the thousands?

Dave8671

Distinguished
I am glad it worked for you. I think you will have issues passed 5.1 channel surround. Maybe updates to the pulse audio will enable 7.1 in the future. I do not use it myself. How new are you to Linux? Ubuntu is a rolling distro meaning it updates to the latest software out there for Ubuntu. Not always good for a new users. I suggest looking at Linux Mint which does not follow Ubuntu upgrade path. I am not knocking Ubuntu but I find it is more difficult for new users to understand.

Sol33t303

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2016

I just installed ubuntu a few days ago and I am still learning about some of the things I can do with it. I know most of the basic commands like apt-get, man, etc. I chose ubuntu over mint because i heard that mint has had some security issues in the past. I set it to output 7.1 surround sound and haven't had any issues with it yet. I understand pretty good how the update system works for ubuntu after reading about it. I'm pretty sure I just type sudo apt-get upgrade in the terminal and it updates everything.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Mint fixed the security issues. Ubuntu has long term support which is 16.04. There is a middle release which is not LTS labeled 16.10 skip the middle release which is is not LTS. Backup your data before you upgrade only to the LTS will be 17.04. If you need to. If all is working than i would not. You can try a live disc see how it functions.

To see your hardware and what drivers are being used type this in the terminal

sudo lspci - v

This will output a list of hardware and drivers used.

With the middle release is only supported for six months. 16.04 is supported. Only update if it benefits your hardware or to fix a issue like wifi card did not work etc.

Sol33t303

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2016

Thank you for the advice, I have been using 16.04 because it said it was supported for longer so to me it looked like the middle versions were more like a beta for 17.04 so I thought that 16.04 would be much more stable.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Yes 16.04 is the stable. Mint had a forum website hacked which has been fixed and I think more secure. I myself do not care for unity GUI in Ubuntu. Plus install codecs and enabling DVD playback is much easier in mint. Just for a new user information with the differences . Mint does not follow the Ubuntu update path. MInt has point updates which update software but does not update the kernel. that will be the next release Mint 19

I am using mint on this laptop. This though is the mate GUI which using less resources than the KDE or Cinnamon desktop.

This is wrong. Ubuntu 17.04 is not an LTS release, LTS releases are only issued every other year;

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Solution

SanjayAroraIN

Prominent
Feb 25, 2017
Hi All

In a similar position to OP. Just moved to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS as my primary home Desktop. Have some prior experience with Linux, though non leisure & non-lifestyle uses only. And that too, limited to following how-tos for some basic provisioning & Sys-Admin work for myself only.

Asking for recommendations for what audiophile grade sound card to buy for 5.1/7.1 Surround Sound that will work on Linux? User Experience based recommendations, if possible, please.

With Regards.
Sanjay.

TRENDING THREADS