Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

iafrahilly

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
I have just finished building a new comp. POSTs perfectly, but my ASUS Rampage 3 Formula motherboard can not detect any hard drives. I would worry about a DOA drive, but I have 4 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB drives and 2 x Intel 120GB SSDs. I have tested each drive individually and NONE OF THEM, work!! How is that possible?

The only other drive connected the the machine is a DVD-R drive. I have used it to check the SATA controller on the mobo...it is detected without trouble in every slot. I have checked the SATA cables I am using and they work perfectly. And the PSU is a 1000W Antec and is supplying perfect power to the rest of the machine.

Any idea what else I could check/fix to get the mobo to recognize at least one drive. As it is I can't install Windows. Somehow I can't imagine all 6 drives are DOA they were all new in box until a couple of days ago.

Thank you for any help/ideas. Greatly appreciated.

Ian

iafrahilly

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

I worried about that too...but I was careful installing it and it appears to POST without trouble, the SATA controller works with the DVD-R, the video card works (I can see the POST message on my monitor) so it is hard to fault the motherboard at this point - in every other category it appears to be working fine. I am completely puzzled.

Does anyone else have an Asus Rampage 3 Formula mobo with WD caviar blacks installed? Do they work?

Thank you.

icy dock

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Hey Iafrahilly,

Since you did just finishing building the computer, I would suggest to double check all cables are connected correctly, etc, etc. Try changing the boot order in BIOS to your DVD-R drive. The reason why is because it sounds like the drives are new( correct me if I am wrong). This way, it will try to load whatever is on the DVD (Windows installation) and see if this works.

Hope this helps you with your issue!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS