Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

iafrahilly

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
I have just finished building a new comp. POSTs perfectly, but my ASUS Rampage 3 Formula motherboard can not detect any hard drives. I would worry about a DOA drive, but I have 4 x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB drives and 2 x Intel 120GB SSDs. I have tested each drive individually and NONE OF THEM, work!! How is that possible?

The only other drive connected the the machine is a DVD-R drive. I have used it to check the SATA controller on the mobo...it is detected without trouble in every slot. I have checked the SATA cables I am using and they work perfectly. And the PSU is a 1000W Antec and is supplying perfect power to the rest of the machine.

Any idea what else I could check/fix to get the mobo to recognize at least one drive. As it is I can't install Windows. Somehow I can't imagine all 6 drives are DOA they were all new in box until a couple of days ago.

Thank you for any help/ideas. Greatly appreciated.

Ian

iafrahilly

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

I worried about that too...but I was careful installing it and it appears to POST without trouble, the SATA controller works with the DVD-R, the video card works (I can see the POST message on my monitor) so it is hard to fault the motherboard at this point - in every other category it appears to be working fine. I am completely puzzled.

Does anyone else have an Asus Rampage 3 Formula mobo with WD caviar blacks installed? Do they work?

Thank you.

icy dock

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Hey Iafrahilly,

Since you did just finishing building the computer, I would suggest to double check all cables are connected correctly, etc, etc. Try changing the boot order in BIOS to your DVD-R drive. The reason why is because it sounds like the drives are new( correct me if I am wrong). This way, it will try to load whatever is on the DVD (Windows installation) and see if this works.

Hope this helps you with your issue!