Question Does anyone have experience with an AOC 27G2U or can recommend a similar 1920*1080 monitor please?

Keith38

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hi

I've been out of the monitor-buying game for quite a while so I could do with some help from anyone who's willing to help me find an appropriate monitor please.

I'm looking for a monitor that ideally has the following features:
  • native 1920*1080 - I really don't need or want anything higher than that right now as I want the resolution to match my current laptops
  • native 120Hz or 144Hz refresh rate - I don't need higher and can happily live with 120Hz
  • would be a bonus if it can daisy chain other displays but not absolutely essential
  • anything from 17 inch to 32 inch max - ideally I don't want to go higher than 27 inch and would be happy with lower but if a 32 inch monitor was perfect in every other way and in budget, I'd consider it
  • either native G-Sync by itself or G-Sync Compatible AND Freesync Premium together
  • impressive colour reproduction and brightness
  • response time of up to 5ms - I'm not fussed if it's any lower than that but it can't be higher
  • preferably IPS unless you can really (I mean, it's going to take some hard work) convince me that a VA or TN would be better
  • budget of up to £250 ideally

The monitor I'm buying will be a second monitor hooked up to both a 17" gaming laptop and a 13" work laptop (at different times obviously) to use in general multitasking, work (spreadsheets, word processing etc), casual/semi-casual gaming and some amateur design work in the near future.

I've had a look around and I've come up with the AOC 27G2U so far which has Freesync Premium with G-Sync Compatible certification and is within budget. Does anyone have any experience with that monitor? It looks like it has good reviews but does anyone know of any issues with it or anything to be aware of/consider before buying it?

I know native G-Sync under £400 is probably unachievable so finding a monitor that has Freesync Premium and is also G-Sync Compatible within budget and the right resolution is probably the main aim.

Thanks!

Keith38

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
So far from the options I've found it's between the AOC 27G2U
(AOC 27G2U/BK 27 Inch Widescreen IPS LED Black Multimedia Monitor (1920 x 1080/5ms/VGA/DP/HDMI/USB 3.0 x 4): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories)

and Acer Nitro XV272 (Acer Nitro XV272Pbmiiprzx 27 inch FHD Gaming Monitor - (IPS Panel, FreeSync, 144Hz, 1ms, HDR 400, ZeroFrame, DP, HDMI, USB Hub, Black): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) which is also IPS, 144Hz, Freesync Premium (according to the AMD website) and G-Sync compatible but also comes with HDR 400.

They're both practically the same price but the Acer appeals a bit more to try out HDR.

I actually found out last night after finding lists of G-Sync monitors on the NVidia website and correlating that to FreeSync Premium monitors from AMD's website that there are a lot of 24/27 inch monitors that are sub-£300 and even a few 24 inch ones that are around £150. My problem is more now that I'm spoilt for choice and it's difficult to differentiate between similar models rather than not having any options.

Other sub-£300 options I've found are:

Acer XF240Hbmjdpr 24 Inch FHD Gaming Monitor, Black (TN Panel, FreeSync, 144 Hz, 1ms, DP, HDMI, DVI): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
AOC G2590FX 24.5 Inch Widescreen TN LED Gaming Monitor 144Hz, FreeSync premium, Intergrated Speakers (1920 x 1080/1ms/VGA/DP/HDMI): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
HP 24x 144Hz Full HD Gaming Monitor (1920 x 1080) NVIDIA G-Sync & AMD FreeSync compatible, 1ms Response time, built in speakers (1 DP, 1 HDMI), Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
Lenovo G24-10 23.6-inch FHD WLED Gaming Monitor | Gaming | Part number : 65FDGAC2UK | Lenovo UK
Buy HP 25mx 24.5inch 144Hz FHD Gaming Monitor | PC monitors | Argos
Buy LG Ultragear 27GL650F 27” Full HD IPS LCD Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | Currys
▷ LG 27GN750 27" 1920x1080 IPS 240Hz 1ms FreeSy… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

They all have FreeSync Premium according to AMD's listing FreeSync Monitors | AMD and G-Sync Compatible according to GeForce G-SYNC Monitors: Manufacturers & Specs (nvidia.com) even though some of them don't state it on the retailer info (or only say FreeSync instead of FreeSync Premium).

Any help/recommendations/experience please, anyone?