Does anyone have the "new" MSI GTX 970s without the sticker?

Guinibee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I was wondering if anyone had the new MSI GTX 970 cards that don't have the sticker on them and how they're performing? Is the fan issue resolved and is there still a buzzing noise?

Reason I'm wondering is i'm on my second pair of MSI GTX 970s and after I took off the sticker very slowly I'm still getting a buzzing noise...although very quiet compared to the first two cards when I tore off the stickers pretty aggressively. I've never had the fan issue with any of the four cards.

I was thinking of trying Gigabyte's cards when they come back in stock, but I was wondering if anyone had the cards from the new batch and if the issues were resolved because I wouldn't mind trying a 3rd set of MSI cards because I like the design more than Gigabytes.

Thanks

frag06

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

I have an MSI 970 Gaming and I hear no buzzing noise, at least not one coming from the fans. It is a great card, the only problem is that mine seems to droop in the back (slanted), which I'm guessing is because of the heavy heatsink and cooler.

Are you sure the buzzing noise you hear isn't coil whine?

Guinibee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

No it is a well documented topic that I'm in many threads with. It is a form of coil whine, not the fans. It only appears during benchmarks and when the GPU is stressed highly. It's a low buzzing noise that you can only hear when your ear is almost directly on top of the cards. A lot of people with all the brands of the GTX 970 seem to have this issue.

It's actually pretty funny because I went and tried my old GTX 670 EVGA just to see if I could hear the buzz noise and I could with that too. Never noticed it before I got these cards. So this must be a normal occurrence seeing as so many have the issue. It probably isn't really even an issue...

frag06

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Yes, I have seen the issue in many threads. It is well publicized over at the OCN 970's Owners Club. I have heard it too with mine, but only during heavy load, and it isn't super bad or anything from what I can tell. So far I have only been able to hear it when my case is open.

Coil whine is pretty common, and seems even more common with the new 970's and 980's. There isn't much you can do about it. Sometimes you get a card without it, sometimes you don't.

frag06

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

I'm not sure. I haven't seen anyone post about getting one without the sticker. IIRC the sticker was removed to fix an issue where sometimes the fan would be stuck at max RPM and it was determined the sticker was the cause.

Guinibee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

yeah I heard it was the fan...but I also heard some of the coil whine (buzz) might go away if those stickers weren't glued on so tight as well...just wondering :p