Question Does anyone know if Windows 7 couldn't detect some wireless mouse?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I ask this question just out of curiosity and learning.

I installed Windows 7 and immediately after installation of the motherboard driver everything works except the wireless mouse by Microsoft.
I did test the USB ports it shouldn't be the problems of the ports because other devices work totally, only the wireless mouse.

$7 was wasted to get a cheap optical USB wired mouse and it worked immediately when plugged.

Does anyone know if Windows 7 of some version could not detect some wireless device even if they are the Microsoft device?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
It depends on how old of an ISO you are using. Yes if you are using a really old 7 ISO to install Windows it is possible it might not have thge drivers required for the mouse.

I don't know how old it was, but the Windows 7 OEM disc was bought in 2011 so I am pretty sure that it
is not younger than 2012.

But why at the same time, the windows could detect another cheap wired USB mouse immediately, which is a real cheap unknown brand. Does it mean wired mouse need no driver while wireless mouse often need drivers?

I don't know how old it was, but the Windows 7 OEM disc was bought in 2011 so I am pretty sure that it
is not younger than 2012.

But why at the same time, the windows could detect another cheap wired USB mouse immediately, which is a real cheap unknown brand. Does it mean wired mouse need no driver while wireless mouse often need drivers?

2011 is quite old. How new is the wireless mouse?

And most wired mice use the generic HID driver so pretty much any mouse will work that is wired. Some wireless mice do have drivers, although more recent ones use generic drivers now too in newer versions of Windows.

One thing to do is make sure your USB drivers are all up to date. As well check the model of wireless mouse you have and verify the drivers for that.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
2011 is quite old. How new is the wireless mouse?

And most wired mice use the generic HID driver so pretty much any mouse will work that is wired. Some wireless mice do have drivers, although more recent ones use generic drivers now too in newer versions of Windows.

One thing to do is make sure your USB drivers are all up to date. As well check the model of wireless mouse you have and verify the drivers for that.

I am not sure how new the wireless mouse is, but bought in late 2016 and that's authentic Microsoft wireless mouse! The box was thrown, how can I know which model is ? anywhere I can check?

I want to make sure I have the driver so that I don't need to waste $7 for a cheap wired mouse next time I reinstall windows 7 or other systems.......

I love this wireless mouse so much, it's the best comfort and the best move around. I tried a lot of wireless mouse before but thrown them all shortly , because too bad

Check the bottom of the mouse. Should have a model number on it.

To avoid this, although my suggestion is to move on from 7 since support will end very soon, you could make a slip streamed version of the 7 ISO on a USB thumb drive that has all the current updates and drivers you need installed:

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Check the bottom of the mouse. Should have a model number on it.

To avoid this, although my suggestion is to move on from 7 since support will end very soon, you could make a slip streamed version of the 7 ISO on a USB thumb drive that has all the current updates and drivers you need installed:

Reason I stick to Win 7 is that I only have Win 7 license. I don't want to spend another hundreds of bucks just for a newer version of windows I am just personal and not doing business with computer

From what I have read your Windows 7 license can still be upgraded to 10 for free meaning you wont have to spend the money for 10. I cannot vouch for this personally but reputable sites have said it does work.

The reason to look to move beyond 7 is because once Microsoft support for it ends, it will no longer receive critical updates and patches which help mitigate exploits and malware. Also once Microsoft drops support hardware manufactures tend to stop driver support and then slowly software manufactures will stop support.

Just a suggestion and I just wanted to show you do have options.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

From what I have read your Windows 7 license can still be upgraded to 10 for free meaning you wont have to spend the money for 10. I cannot vouch for this personally but reputable sites have said it does work.

The reason to look to move beyond 7 is because once Microsoft support for it ends, it will no longer receive critical updates and patches which help mitigate exploits and malware. Also once Microsoft drops support hardware manufactures tend to stop driver support and then slowly software manufactures will stop support.

Just a suggestion and I just wanted to show you do have options.

I actually did some search before it was like the free upgrade had ended in 2016 or 2017...

How can I upgrade in that case? Just download the win 10 on Microsoft? Or any other weird way by installing wired third-party exe. file?

D

Deleted member 14196

Yes just download the new windows 10 using the windows media creation tool from Microsoft and you can use that operating system for free and it will get all the updates. you will just not be able to change your desktop background and a few other minor things but you can use it that way as long as you want until you can afford a license

I actually did some search before it was like the free upgrade had ended in 2016 or 2017...

How can I upgrade in that case? Just download the win 10 on Microsoft? Or any other weird way by installing wired third-party exe. file?

Read the linked article. You would have to use your current license key.

Yes just download the new windows 10 using the windows media creation tool from Microsoft and you can use that operating system for free and it will get all the updates. you will just not be able to change your desktop background and a few other minor things but you can use it that way as long as you want until you can afford a license

The method I am recommending would be a legit fully activated version of 10 using his current 7 product key.

D

Deleted member 14196

yeah, that's why i upvoted your response, but I was just telling him all is not lost in any case.

TRENDING THREADS