[SOLVED] Does Anyone Know Of A Good Fully Custom Enterprise System Builder?

Feb 12, 2022
Hello,

My company has been trying to build out a pretty complicated/fully custom system for the past few months, and I've been having trouble dealing with some of the system builders (specifically when it comes to price - as I'll make a change that shouldn't cost that much more - only to find a 5x - 7x increase in price for that change).

Does anyone know of a good fully custom system builder (preferably in the Enterprise space)?

This can be a small or big system builder, as long as they allow for fully custom builds.

Thank you,
Nelson

Solution
I cannot address why that builder may be increasing the cost. Perhaps from their viewpoint the change may require a resource they do not have and may need to sub-contract.

Another builder might simply be able to absorb the cost in some manner. A third builder may simply say okay, make the change, and present a bigger bill later. And sue for payment.

You need clear requirements that all potential bidders (custom builders) can read and then submit proposals/quotes and pricing accordingly.

If changes are expected then you need to layout your specific requirements for how changes are to be requested, approved, and implemented - including costs.

And if there is eventually going to be a contract then a lawyer should review the...

Ralston18

Titan
The issue is not custom builds.

The issue is changes.

Not at all an uncommon problem and changes are one of the reasons why so many projects (development and otherwise) go over budget and behind schedule.

Is there a contract with requirements, pricing, completion dates, etc.?

Changes can often be very complicated and costly depending on the requirements, the details, and the general scope of work.

Especially so for complicated, custom builds. Does the contract allow for changes?

For example: your change "that shouldn't cost that much more" may require a resource person/developer that is already committed to another project. That resource may need to be paid overtime or a higher, more qualified/expensive person may need to be assigned to make the change. The change may require a full test of everything again just to ensure that there are no conflicts or unexpected glitches.

If you do not have contractual terms in place regarding changes then for the most part the change is a new requirement and the work will be priced accordingly.

My recommendation is to get legal advice regarding the contracts that have been put into place.

Or if a contract is being set up then the applicable language and terms need to be added to address changes and the associated costs.

Feb 12, 2022
The issue is not custom builds.

The issue is changes.

Not at all an uncommon problem and changes are one of the reasons why so many projects (development and otherwise) go over budget and behind schedule.

Is there a contract with requirements, pricing, completion dates, etc.?

Changes can often be very complicated and costly depending on the requirements, the details, and the general scope of work.

Especially so for complicated, custom builds. Does the contract allow for changes?

For example: your change "that shouldn't cost that much more" may require a resource person/developer that is already committed to another project. That resource may need to be paid overtime or a higher, more qualified/expensive person may need to be assigned to make the change. The change may require a full test of everything again just to ensure that there are no conflicts or unexpected glitches.

If you do not have contractual terms in place regarding changes then for the most part the change is a new requirement and the work will be priced accordingly.

My recommendation is to get legal advice regarding the contracts that have been put into place.

Or if a contract is being set up then the applicable language and terms need to be added to address changes and the associated costs.

Hello Ralston18,

Thank you for the input; that said, the changes in price are only at the quote phase (my company hasn't yet decided to go with one system builder over another).

Right now, I have two system builders quoting me for a system, and the price (especially for one of them - keeps increasing up and up, when the changes should've actually dropped the cost).

As for legal issue, since nothing has been purchased, there's no reason for bringing lawyers.

I was just trying to get some recommendations for a few more fully custom system builders (that people have had good experiences with).

Thank you,
Nelson

Ralston18

Titan
I cannot address why that builder may be increasing the cost. Perhaps from their viewpoint the change may require a resource they do not have and may need to sub-contract.

Another builder might simply be able to absorb the cost in some manner. A third builder may simply say okay, make the change, and present a bigger bill later. And sue for payment.

You need clear requirements that all potential bidders (custom builders) can read and then submit proposals/quotes and pricing accordingly.

If changes are expected then you need to layout your specific requirements for how changes are to be requested, approved, and implemented - including costs.

And if there is eventually going to be a contract then a lawyer should review the contractual terms and wording. Before - not after the purchase.

AKA "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Solution