[SOLVED] Does anyone know of a particular model of external blu-ray drive that works with the (underpowered) USB port on the Surface Pro 4?

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I just bought a used Surface Pro 4. I want to play Blu-rays on it from an external disc drive. (Portable blu-ray "players" are a joke because the screen quality is commensurate with the resolution.) Many users report that such external drives do not work without being powered from a dock (another expense). A few users report that the LG model CP40NG10 does work with the Surface Pro - but there are no drivers for Windows 10, so it might have worked four years ago, but not necessarily now.

Lutfij

Titan
Due to the nature of the Surface Pro 4, it's possible that the USB port is only meant to work with small disk drives that don't need additional power input. Which is why you're going to have to look at an external Blu Ray optical drive that has an additional power input(sans the USB option) since you don't have more than one USB port.

You could look into this ODD;
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Portable-Blu-ray-Optical/dp/B079LTC6ML

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
If I'm going to have to spend over $100, I'm inclined to spend over $150 and get a Pioneer (which are better reviewed) instead of an LG and make sure it can play UHD as well, but the drawback is still the Surface itself, Pioneer specs say UHD playback isn't supported by "U" mobile processors such as what the Surface has.

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I have connected an external optical drive to my Surface by using a split connection (see below). One USB port connects to the Surface and the other to the USB port on the surface power supply. Works just fine.

I do have one of those cords (as I used to have a Gateway netbook, and had to do the two USB port power thing) but I didn't realize that notch on the Surface charger was another USB port. That sounds like a workable solution.