[SOLVED] does anyone know this pc?

Feb 15, 2021
sorry for my bad english.

i have a home pc from hp (hp pavilion a6238d) im trying to find the information about it on internet but i'll only find the old website that said the pc support up to 8gb ram (which i already did) but im curious about the cpu and gpu upgrade. the pc use the intel core 2 duo e6550 2.33 Ghz (which is use the lga 775 socket) and nvidia geforce 8500gt 512mb ddr2.

my question is, does anyone know about upgrading (the cpu that support this motherboard.gpu,etc) on this pc since i cant find the motherboard name.did anyone of you guys here have the same pc as mine back then or maybe today? and what do you do for the upgrade?

thank you very much!

Solution
More of a side grade. Basically going from a 2007 mid-range card to a the lowest 2010 offering from AMD. DX11 support is kind of nice, but there will be little gain in performance, possibly less performance in some games. It does use less power though if you care about electricity costs.

I mentioned what you can do above in terms of CPU and memory. Higher end Q9000 processors still command a bit of a premium, so you are going to pay a lot to get one and then be stuck with it. DDR2 memory is expensive new, and getting 4 2GB sticks that work together might be difficult, anyone selling a set knows what they have. There is a point where spending money on an old system is wasting it. Better to save up and make a bigger jump.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Presumably with a G33 chipset you could drop in as much as a Q9550/9650 without too much trouble. Not really worth it if you ask me.

Pretty much any GPU can go in there as long as you can power it, but given the age of the system, again, not that wise. I would not trust a power supply with that old to power a gaming system. Might also start running into issues with late model GPUs not liking a non-UEFI bios. So best to stick with Nvidia 700 series or AMD 200 series or older.

4x2GB DDR2 800Mhz would probably work, going to be tricky to track down a set.

I would scrap it, you can pick up a used DDR3 computer for not a whole lot of money. Something like an i3-3210, 8GB DDR3. Or even a used gaming laptop would be a better choice then putting money into a DDR2 system. (Keep in mind, that DDR4 is close to the end of its lifecycle and DDR5 motherboards are expected late this year)

Feb 15, 2021
i
Presumably with a G33 chipset you could drop in as much as a Q9550/9650 without too much trouble. Not really worth it if you ask me.

Pretty much any GPU can go in there as long as you can power it, but given the age of the system, again, not that wise. I would not trust a power supply with that old to power a gaming system. Might also start running into issues with late model GPUs not liking a non-UEFI bios. So best to stick with Nvidia 700 series or AMD 200 series or older.

4x2GB DDR2 800Mhz would probably work, going to be tricky to track down a set.

I would scrap it, you can pick up a used DDR3 computer for not a whole lot of money. Something like an i3-3210, 8GB DDR3. Or even a used gaming laptop would be a better choice then putting money into a DDR2 system. (Keep in mind, that DDR4 is close to the end of its lifecycle and DDR5 motherboards are expected late this year)

i know it's not worth it, but i didn't have any choice. it's only pc that i have and im still a student soooo yea thanks btw!

Feb 15, 2021
the lga 775 socket is EXTREMELY outdated, and they are not worth buying anymore.

i would recommend upgrading the whole system, if you can

it's the only system that i had and i can't just throw them away. i need it for my online school and gaming (soo i can't just buy a new one,it's kinda too much for a budget build in my country) so im just looking for recommendation too get a better performance on my pc even it's outdated

im planning upgrade the gpu to hd 5450 512mb,it's pretty cheap and support the dx11. what do you guys think?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
More of a side grade. Basically going from a 2007 mid-range card to a the lowest 2010 offering from AMD. DX11 support is kind of nice, but there will be little gain in performance, possibly less performance in some games. It does use less power though if you care about electricity costs.

I mentioned what you can do above in terms of CPU and memory. Higher end Q9000 processors still command a bit of a premium, so you are going to pay a lot to get one and then be stuck with it. DDR2 memory is expensive new, and getting 4 2GB sticks that work together might be difficult, anyone selling a set knows what they have. There is a point where spending money on an old system is wasting it. Better to save up and make a bigger jump.

Reactions: watashisushi
Solution
Feb 15, 2021

thanks for the advice! im trying to saving up this time!

Reactions: AlexTheFern