Question Does anyone know what 'Casa Systems Inc.' is? Or is related to?

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hello all,

I recently installed a new wifi mesh. After getting it up and running, I was looking over my device list when I came across 'Casa System's Inc' as a connected device. It has a <--> symbol which I believe means it is a router of some sort, but I cannot think of what this would be. I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this.

Most of my devices are pretty straight forward, such as iphones or PCs. That said, I do have 3 devices attached to my Eero 6 Pro ( 1 Gateway + 2 extenders ). There is also the Rogers ISP modem in bridge mode. 5 Sonos products. An August lock+bridge. And a Lutron system. That said, I see all of those devices connected.

I'm wondering if this might be some sort of 'virtual router' perhaps? I know Sonos can create a group of some sort, but not sure.

Hoping somebody has a quick idea and ty in advance!

Phil

Last edited:

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
It is indeed Casa Systems Inc, but no other info.
The Mac identifier only brings it up as Casa Systems Inc.

No netcomm router. I did have a TP Link router attached, but it was taken off yesterday and is no longer connected. For Rogers, the only item I have plugged in is the modem, which is in bridge mode with the wifi turned off.

Still a mystery :/

Ralston18

Titan
Open the Command Prompt and run "arp -a" (without quotes).

Does the MAC (Physical Address) appear anywhere in the listing?

If possible run "arp -a" on other computers as well.

Also - regarding:

"I was looking over my device list when I came across 'Casa System's Inc' as a connected device. It has a <--> symbol which I believe means it is a router of some sort, "

How are you obtaining that device list? Is possible to take a screenshot and post the screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com) without revealing any personally identifying information?

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Open the Command Prompt and run "arp -a" (without quotes).

Does the MAC (Physical Address) appear anywhere in the listing?

If possible run "arp -a" on other computers as well.

Also - regarding:

"I was looking over my device list when I came across 'Casa System's Inc' as a connected device. It has a <--> symbol which I believe means it is a router of some sort, "

How are you obtaining that device list? Is possible to take a screenshot and post the screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com) without revealing any personally identifying information?

Hi Ralston,

I'm getting the device list from my Eero app.
See link for image.

View: https://imgur.com/bxPgdq0

In terms of running that script off my computer, I've just swapped to a Mac as of about a week ago ... so I am just learning my way around it ( prob also should not have used the term PC in my original post above haha ).

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Well, I seem to have resolved the issue, albeit without fully understanding it.
I'll post what unfolded here in case somebody has a similar experience with their Eero 6 Pro.

• The issue appears to be related to an Eero 6 pod that was converted from hardwire to wireless.
  • I deleted the pod from my system.
  • The pod was then added back to the system as wireless.
  • The Casa Systems device disappeared and has not returned since doing this.

I believe what happened, is that my pod was originally added to the system as a hardwired device, and some sort of configuration remnant remained from the original hardwiring, even though the pod had since been changed to wireless. When I deleted the pod and added it back without a hardwire attached, this seems to have resolved whatever configuration oddity existed before, and the device listed as Casa Systems Inc is gone.

So it appears Casa Systems Inc was related to the Eero 6 Pro.

Cheers!

Ralston18

Titan
A Mac computer then versus a PC - correct?

Are there any PC's connected to your network or can you obtain one from which to run "arp -a"?

The key is to determine which network device is using the MAC address ( 00:17:10:9f:ae:09 )shown in your link.

"arp -a" will show network devices by IP address and the corresponding MAC address.

It may take a few tries to ensure that the arp table is up-to-date.

Then use the MAC address ---- IP address to identify the device in question.

Ralston18

Titan
Network adapters have their own MAC addresses. So if a computer or device is capable of both wired or wireless connectivity only the desired network adapter (wired or wireless) should be enabled. Not both at the same time.

Some devices will detect the presence of a hardwired connection and disable wireless.

If that does not happen then things can and do get confusing.

Glad it worked out.

Reactions: lyphe