Question Does anyone know what this sound is coming from?

Feb 17, 2021
I recorded a short video, my specs are below. Not sure what the sound is coming from. It will sometimes be louder and sometimes go more quiet but I can always hear it. I am hoping that it's maybe just a fan? I really don't know.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E
Intel Core i9 10900KF 3.7GHz Processor
NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X
32GB DDR4-3600 RAM
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm RGB Water

Ferimer

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2021
Try removing the clear panel on the side and see if that is the cause. If that isn't then we eliminated one possibility. Another could be a Fan turned up TOO High have you turned up your GPU fan speed at all? I noticed when mine was at like 62% it was making a weird noise turned it down to 58% and noise went away.

I removed the clear panel and got a closer look, to me it sounds like it's coming from the CoolerMaster. I am not sure if there is a fan inside of it? Don't know anything about those but it doesn't sound like it's coming from any of the fans and the GPU has been off since I'm not gaming so it's definitely not that. I opened a game to confirm that as well that it's not the issue. I haven't tried changing the speed haven't messed with that at all since I got the PC.

Ferimer

Distinguished
I removed the clear panel and got a closer look, to me it sounds like it's coming from the CoolerMaster. I am not sure if there is a fan inside of it? Don't know anything about those but it doesn't sound like it's coming from any of the fans and the GPU has been off since I'm not gaming so it's definitely not that. I opened a game to confirm that as well that it's not the issue. I haven't tried changing the speed haven't messed with that at all since I got the PC.
TO me it sounds like Vibration. Like the case or something is slightly loose causing a vibration rattle. So with the coolermaster liquid coolers. the Part that is connected to the CPU sends water through the pipes. One tube for incoming water that is cold and then it absorbs the heat and send it through the other pipe back to the radiator and the fans cool it. How long have you had this cpu cooler?

Feb 17, 2021
TO me it sounds like Vibration. Like the case or something is slightly loose causing a vibration rattle. So with the coolermaster liquid coolers. the Part that is connected to the CPU sends water through the pipes. One tube for incoming water that is cold and then it absorbs the heat and send it through the other pipe back to the radiator and the fans cool it. How long have you had this cpu cooler?

On the top most hose I can feel a good amount of vibration, on the other hose nothing. Also, the four screws were not tightened down all the way... I assume these are supposed to be hand tight? I tightened them down. Sound is still there. I recall reading something on the review page on Microcenter's website (bought a prebuilt), I just found it and it sounds like the issue I'm having. I will post the quote below. To me this sounds like the issue. What do you think? Thank you for the replies as well, very much appreciate it. I have had the computer since Dec 30 by the way as well so just about 6-7 weeks.

"There is a problem with the CoolerMaster AIO. I like others I found on the interwebs, at the 2 week mark have started to notice a rattle from the radiator. This rattle currently is low volume but it's noticeable. Apparently its been replaced a lot with warranty repair by MicroCenter. It's recommended to instead buy your own AIO to replace it since it's going to be the same AIO with the same problem 2 weeks later again. If it starts getting crazy loud you're at the mark where it's going to fry :) so don't dilly dally. "

Sounds to me like a bad fan, a wire touching a fan, or the impeller inside the water cooler starting to fail. For fans, I touch my finger lightly at the center of the fan to slowly stop it and see if it was the cause. Another technique is to put an empty paper towel roll to your ear and aim it at all the above mentioned spots to try to pin it down.

Feb 17, 2021
Update here, I changed the AIO PUMP Min Duty Cycle from 100 to 60 in the BIOS and the noise completely went away. On startup and loading into windows I hear it again for 1 second or so and it goes away completely again. Right now it sounds great. I contacted Microcenter and they said it is safe to keep this setting for now but recommended that I replace it ASAP as there is a physical flaw inside of the AIO pump itself. If anyone has good recommendations for a good pump I'd like to get another brand as I'm seeing this is a known issue with these when I look more into it online