Question Does anyone permanently run their HD laptop at 2k/QHD using Virtual/Dynamic Super Resolution?

davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
And if you do, how sharp is it? Would you be happy doing design work with Virtual/Dynamic Super Resolution turned on, or would you just pay extra for a 2k laptop if that was your use case?

Thanks in advance.

When you say HD are you talking about the 'marketing' HD (which is 720p) or FHD (full high definition - 1080p)?

For me, this mostly depends on the physical laptop screen size. I'll refer to the different resolutions as 1080p, 1440p, and 2160p as I've heard of some people calling 1080p 2k because of the 1920 part. If the laptop is 14" or smaller you really don't need a screen higher than 1080p. I have excellent vision, without glasses or contacts, and I have to run my 13.3", 2160p laptop at 150% scale for writing to become legible. Unfortunately, it's common for the better screen specs to only be available in the 2160p screens. For screens 15.4" and higher getting a 2160p screen is an easy choice, again, as long as the specs are actually better.

In short, I would recommend not using DSR and going for the more expensive screen IF it has better specs. The only times I could recommend sticking with the 1080p is if your eyesight is worse than 20/20, you need the absolute max battery life (2160p screens use more power), the 1080p screens are actually better quality/higher spec screens, or you want to save the $$$.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidbenpark

davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
When you say HD are you talking about the 'marketing' HD (which is 720p) or FHD (full high definition - 1080p)?

For me, this mostly depends on the physical laptop screen size. I'll refer to the different resolutions as 1080p, 1440p, and 2160p as I've heard of some people calling 1080p 2k because of the 1920 part. If the laptop is 14" or smaller you really don't need a screen higher than 1080p. I have excellent vision, without glasses or contacts, and I have to run my 13.3", 2160p laptop at 150% scale for writing to become legible. Unfortunately, it's common for the better screen specs to only be available in the 2160p screens. For screens 15.4" and higher getting a 2160p screen is an easy choice, again, as long as the specs are actually better.

In short, I would recommend not using DSR and going for the more expensive screen IF it has better specs. The only times I could recommend sticking with the 1080p is if your eyesight is worse than 20/20, you need the absolute max battery life (2160p screens use more power), the 1080p screens are actually better quality/higher spec screens, or you want to save the $$$.
Thanks Alceryes, great input! My eyesight is near 20/20, so all good in that respect.

The reason 1080p isn't perfect for me is that I mainly do web design, so I like to design FHD sized web pages (1920 x 1080) with space around them for my design software and windows UI. The 1440 pixel height of QHD is perfect for this, and for my desktop setup I have 2x 27" QHD monitors.

I need to get a laptop for occasional remote working and would like to do very light gaming (APU is probably fine), but didn't want to spend £1500+ on a QHD laptop as I won't be using it very regularly. However, I may just bite the bullet and spend the extra!

Thanks Alceryes, great input! My eyesight is near 20/20, so all good in that respect.

The reason 1080p isn't perfect for me is that I mainly do web design, so I like to design FHD sized web pages (1920 x 1080) with space around them for my design software and windows UI. The 1440 pixel height of QHD is perfect for this, and for my desktop setup I have 2x 27" QHD monitors.

I need to get a laptop for occasional remote working and would like to do very light gaming (APU is probably fine), but didn't want to spend £1500+ on a QHD laptop as I won't be using it very regularly. However, I may just bite the bullet and spend the extra!
You have a specific work-related need for 1440p+. I wouldn't even hesitate. ;)

Reactions: davidbenpark