Does anyone understand RAM timings?

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
My memory timings and uncore frequencies are holding back my core i7 overclock. However, I picked a poor motherboard and I can't simply adjust the multipliers, I get to do it all by hand :fou: I don't have ppm voltage control or any control over the qpi frequency other than directly setting it. When I go into manuel, this is what I see:

Performance Tuning Mode: Manuel
Uncore Frequency: 2133 mhz
DRAM Frequency: 1066 ghz
tCL:7
tRCD: 7
tRP:7
tRAS: 20
tRRD: 4
tWR:8
tWTR:4
tRTP:4
tRFC: 59

When I used these manuel settings I got to post 4 clocks high on my baseclock, but it wasn't stable, so for now I just have it at auto. But remember, this, vtt core voltage, and ram voltage are the only relevant controls thatr I have access to. I have no multipliers accesible for this :cry: I need to simulate bringing down the multipliers in order to overclock the base clock high, but I don't know what I'm doing. I can't type in my own DRAM frequency: I have (off the top of my head) 800, 1066, 1333,1600, 1866and I thinks that's all. HELP!

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
you always have to adjust timings by hand, are you talking about the fsb/ram ratio because that isn't possible to adjust seeing as the i7 doesn't have a fsb so there is no ratio.

If it is unstable relax the timings (increase them) usually people only mess with the first three or four
tCL:7
tRCD: 7
tRP:7
tRAS: 20

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
not in particular
the first three are generally within +-1 if each other and I would keep the fourth at about 3x the the others
the lower you get them the faster it goes if you can keep it stable

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Foxconn renaissance and I don't like it. No Pll voltage controls, no auto voltage, no ram multiplier, and no qpi multiplier. Horrible overclocking motherboard.

Assuming this is for games, it is possible that your CPU is more than adequate for your graphics cards and overclocking your CPU would do nothing.

In the simplest case of an older, single core CPU you can test this by monitoring Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL). Leave it running in the background during your demanding games. If it never reaches 100% then your graphics card(s) is holding you back. It's slightly trickier with multi-core. If none of the cores/threads show 100% there's no need for overclocking. If a single core shows 100% you might see a benefit but it's not certain.

You say your RAM is holding you back?
Based on what you describe I'd be surprised if your RAM is holding you back. RAM is rarely the limiting factor, especially in games.

Optimal RAM bandwidth is needed mainly when your CPU is completely maxed out (all cores/threads). I doubt any game would max out your memory.

How do you even know your RAM is maxed out?

My advice is to leave your CPU at a reasonably stable 3.2GHz and enjoy your system. This fascination with getting the maximum theoretical performance (i.e. not necessarily used by your software) at the expense of fan noise and stability baffles me. I'm not saying that's what you are doing, though.

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
My RAM is 3 sticks of 2GB DDR3 1600 mHz.

I have 2 gtx 260 core 216 w/ sli, and I think my gaming performance is pretty good, but I'd also like to make the processor fast for benchmarks, and, simply because I can :D

Alright, i'm going to go play with my memory timings. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Okay, so I tried 8-8-8-24 as well as numbers I saw from a review's screenshot, 8-8-7-25 (and different settings from below those ones too) but each had no post, and I had to reset the motherboard. So I guess I'm out of luck. I'll talk to one of my friends about it and maybe we'll get the thing straightened out...

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

Ah, Photon/Modem Boy responding to someone else with a tech/hardware question! He's BAFFLED by ancient hardware like MODEMS, I'm sure his mouse confuses him, I wouldn't listen to ANYTHING this clown has to spout from his keyboard...