Does Arctic Silver lose adhesion under constant load?

BenJaD

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Have an MSI I170 gaming mobo with an I7-6700K gaming with a Corsair 110i liquid cooling. It has been running in the mid 50-65 range under heavy gaming. So during the Olympics I used the onboard tune to capture some 5+ hours of activity. During that period I left the machine running to catch the 0100-0330 hours - editing during the non-Olympic hours. I shut the machine down after the closing ceremonies - left it idle for a day or so. Fired up the machine - then was drawn away returned to the machine shutdown. I made another try - it shut down within an hour again. Wondering, I launched again and checked the temps - cores were in the mid 80s and assembly mid to higher 80s. I concluded that the continuous operation overloaded the cooler and the Arctic Silver either melted down or was drawn off the cpu. The machine is not in an easy access situation so I would really rather not pull it out to check the cooler and CPU.
Opinions are wanted and welcomed - thank you!

mrmez

Splendid
Unlikely. The CPU SHOULD shutdown to prevent damage long before thermal paste 'melts' off.
Also, thermal paste is not an adhesive. You don't glue your cooler to your cpu, bolts and brackets clamp the two together.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would suggest checking for dust accumulations that are impeding flow of cool air. Especially examine the finned heatsink attached to the CPU chip, with its fan blowing air through it. If dust has built up between the fins, no air flows through those gaps to provide cooling.

BenJaD

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014

Believe that this is the probable answer - I attempted to shop vac the radiator coils through the covering grid - obviously removed enough for a visual inspection to reveal somewhat cleared - Sadly after I fired it up and let it run I never got to the temp app to see what was happening before it shut down.
My first clue that I had a problem was when the machine shut down one morning after running for some four to five days non-stop. I let it sit for a day, fired up and got to temps - which were as I reported. It was not too long after that the machine shut down..
Guess it is clear the bench, unhook all the wires, lift some 50# to the bench, open it up, clean and vacuum, reverse process. For me that is at least a full day - what happens when you are on the far side of 3/4 century in years.