Does Asus PCE-ac88 have Mbps limiter?

Oct 2, 2018
I am considering to buy the Asus PCE-AC88 AC3100 PCI-E Adapter URL: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-802-11AC-Wireless-AC3100-Adapter-PCE-AC88/dp/B01H9QMOMY

But there is some information before purchasing which some of you may have.
So the wifi card I need is a card with a Mbps cap/limiter and this is a must. And does the software come with the driver? Because my internet is very inconsistent and its impossible to play online games. I don't have access to the router so I can't get Ethernet :( If any of you know, please share!

Lutfij

Titan
You can't limit the bandwidth on the adapter you can however limit the bandwidth given to your system/wireless adapter using a QoS option found within your router's GUI.

Putting a cap on your bandwidth isn't a good idea if your primary issue is high pings when gaming. This would mean to me that your ISP is the issue or that the router needs a firmware update.

Or that the signal is just weak.

Oct 2, 2018

The problem is that I don's have access to my router because it's not my router.
The thing is i have a killer wireless-ac 1535, and this driver has a software were you can cap you internet without the help of a router. And i did that and it fixed my problem. No more lag spikes and that. Im gonna build a new pc and just wanted to know if other cards had these options so i wouldnt have to buy the same card again. i have had some problems with this wifi card. So yeah it sucks that the asus pce ac88 dont have those features. Do you know any programs/software that lets you do it? Thanks for the fast reply

Oct 2, 2018

That is not the case. I have about 250 upload and 170 download on speedtest

Would it not be simpler to just stop all the other things you have running on your PC when you want good game performance. With the bandwidth you have you must be running huge downloads or torrents in the background. Why would you even do that when you want good game performance. It will be using cpu and other resources out of the computer that will affect the game in addition to network bandwidth.

You as the user of the machine can do more than any software on the nic can. Just be sure you are only running the game on your machine and not other crap.

Oct 2, 2018

I can see i have not been specific enough. So i live at my university, but i have my own room. There is about 110+ living at my university. So as you can see there will be about 100+ people signed in to the same network. Then there will be loads of people downloading files and watching youtube etc. So my network will never be stable. So the only way for me to play games and have a good experience i need to cap my internet. I dont have access to the router so cant do any modifications. I have done everything that i can think of to fix it without having to use any program but its the only way.

I almost laugh that you even think what you propose is possible...then again anyone who reads killer stuff gets mislead since their whole purpose is to intentionally mislead people into thinking you can control other machines traffic with any type of program. All it can do is say game traffic is more important than downloads....BUT only game traffic and downloads on that machine not others.

You can not control another machines traffic no matter what you run on your machine. Lets say you could if I was one of the other students living near you why would I not just lock everyone else out and have all the bandwidth for myself.

Networking as part of its design makes this impossible to accomplish. Your machine can not really even see other wifi traffic because the encryption keys are unique. But even if you used ethernet you can not control another machines traffic from yours.

Only the router can even think to do this. It is the only common point traffic goes through. It tends to be very hard to do on router...besides in situations like yours everyone thinks their traffic is most important so who would the router administrator favor.

Oct 2, 2018

Well i wasn't trying to control any other machines. I was just modifying my own wifi-card to cap the internet that only i got. I didnt modify anything or affect anyones machines except from my own. But you're correct on the part that im not that clever in this subject thats why i posted this in the first place :) I just know that when i program the program to cap my internet on 50 and then do a speedtest the result i get is almost exactly 50. When i make it unlimited i get 170+. The killer stuff seems pretty shady i do agree, thats why i want a new card in the first place. But it actually works for me.

I forget the exact chipsets but killer does not make the wifi chips but that is true for almost all wifi devices.

You do not see end devices sold from companies like broadcom or reltek that actually design wifi chips. This is why there are not huge differences between wifi devices from the major manufactures. Killer has part of their drivers that are custom but the firmware that is actually loaded into the wifi chips themselves comes from the chipset vendors. Most the killer stuff runs on the pc not in the radio chips.

Asus makes quality product so you should get good performance from the device you list. It likely is overkill since unless the router/ap that the university uses has things like 4x4 mimo your card will drop back to the slower supported speeds. It is likely they are only running 2x2 mimo.

Still there is no card that can solve the problems of too many people sharing the same internet connection.

TRENDING THREADS